Blichmann floor burner for deep fried turkey

there’s a note on the side of the Blichmann floor burner that says “Do not heat cooking oil.” I should ignore that, right?

As a firefighter I can tell you that the only safe way to deep-fry a turkey is NOT to deep-fry a turkey.

I’d disagree. If done safely and correctly, it’s fine. Check out Alton Brown from the food network. He has an awesome Good Eats episode devoted to frying turkey. It’s broken into 3 parts on YouTube.

thanks for the replies. to clarify, I’ve deep fried a few turkeys with a diff’t burner. is there any reason not to do this on a Blichmann? or are they just CYAing?

It is likely a bit of CYA but keep in mind their floor burned is much more efficient than the typical burner in a turkey fryer kit. It is quite possible you could take the past your target temp and straight to smoking if you are not very careful.

Paul

As far as using the blichmann burner, you should be fine. I’ve used mine for cooking all the time when I want more heat than my electrtic stove can provide. Or when I don’t want fumes from whatever I’m cooking, like habenaro peppers in vinegar to make hot sauce. :twisted:

However, do NOT use a boilermaker brewpot. Those are NOT built to withstand temps into the 400F range. And make sure your turkey is fully dethawed and dry. Deep frying a turkey is not a task you can “wing”. As mentioned above, if Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on deep frying a turkey, you’d best watch it.

I also think deep-fried turkey is one of the most overrated foods. Smoke it or do it up in the oven.

Big Green Egg!

I like the deep fryer for tailgating at the Browns games, but dang the oil is expensive and too often under used and thrown out.

I picked up a Big Easy Oil-less turkey fryer for $50 at Big Lots. Box hardware stores sell them ~$100. Cooks a turkey in about the same amount of time (including heating the oil) without any oil. Cools off right away too so you don’t have to wait around for the oil to cool off. Plus you can use rubs, marinades, seasonings stuffed in the cavity, etc. Plus the sell accessories to use it for ribs, wings and other stuff. I love the thing. It’s good on gas too.

[quote=“moose”]Big Green Egg!

I like the deep fryer for tailgating at the Browns games, but dang the oil is expensive and too often under used and thrown out.[/quote]

Love my Egg!

Well 80,000 or so wasted angry Browns fans should make deep frying way safer :lol: