Blichmann burner question

Hi. So, I’m setting up my brewing in my basement. I’ve got my new Blichmann burner converted to natural gas, and I have a NG hose going to a quick disconnect port. No leaks confirmed. I’m setting up a hood that is basically a range hood that will connect to the dryer vent hose. I’ll just swap back and forth between the dryer and exhaust when necessary. The Blichmann instructions say that the burner is to NEVER be used indoors. Is this just them indemnifying themselves from any damages, or is there something I’m overlooking? My stove is NG, and it’s safe to use indoors with the range hood, so what might be the difference here. I am taking all precautions to be as safe as possible, and I just want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything. Thanks for any input.

This isn’t one of those “don’t do it, but it’s really OK” things.

I’m not convinced you can get enough ventilation with a range hood jury-rigged to a dryer vent. That one burner will throw off more heat and exhaust that your kitchen stove. For example the Heat pump that keeps my house warm is 65,000 BTW. Depending on which burner you have it’s probably 72,000 BTU. So there’s that. I’m betting your homeowners insurance will invalidate your policy too. How’s your Life insurance? All paid up?

I recommend you do not do this.

The NEVER part applies more to propane. Propane is heavier than air which means if you have a leak it and its defining odor will sink to the floor likely out of your smell range. any electric spark, water heater pilot, etc could lead to a very bad day. Natural gas on the other hand is lighter than air and if a leak is present the gas will rise away from pilots and into your smell range. that said you must have good venting as it seems you do and a CO detector should be a must. also do not leave unattended especially at low flame - should the flame extinguish there is nothing to shut off the flow of gas. if you do those couple things you will be OK. I have been doing this for 4 years

DON’T DO IT!!

I have posted on hear several times about people going to a early grave because of CO poisoning. In my 35+ years of working in the gas department of a utility company I have seen people carried out of a house because of CO poisoning in body bags, not easy to watch.

PLEASE MAN DON’T DO IT.

If you go with brewing in your basement please have a pro build your venting system.

Good Luck, jazzman

Ok. I’d like to heed the advice. I live in Michigan where it’s quite chilly to cook outside, and if there’s any way to do this safely, I’d like to explore the option. My main drive to do this is because, a) NG is cheaper than propane and a steady source, and b) the house I’m at already had a nice quick disconnect already plumbed downstairs. The former owner ran a NG hose from his converted grill through the basement window to the quick disconnect. I’ve read and seen enough of the Darwin awards to know a little better, though, so I’ll cook outside until I consult with a pro to have the vent configured appropriately, if at all. Thanks for the input.

You could always go electric…

Simple answer. Brew high gravity extract or partial mash recipes on the kitchen stove in the Winter. If my glass-top electric range can boil 3-4 gallons, I expect your kitchen’s gas stove can too. Small AG batch sizes, (maybe BIAB) could work on the kitchen stove too.

Think of that first outdoor batch as a rite of Spring…

[quote=“JMcK”]Small AG batch sizes, (maybe BIAB) could work on the kitchen stove too.
[/quote]

This is a good suggestion. I did a 3.5 gallon BIAB batch yesterday. I’d prefer a larger 5 gal batch but it’s too cold to be standing around the burner. Because of the smaller volume, I use this time to try new recipes and know that the batches will turn over more quickly. Yesterday’s batch was a Munich Dunkel. Good luck.