Blichmann Beer Gun

I just used my Blichmann Beer Gun for the first time this morning to fill some bottles to take to a Superbowl party. Awesome! It’ll be nice to not have to give people detailed instructions about how to pour a homebrew properly. I look forward to seeing how well carbonated the bottles are tonight, and will hold a couple back to see how they are later.

I don’t like the fact that they’ve designed the gun so that the liquid hose simply slips onto the end of the tube. I’ve ordered an MFL compression fitting
http://midwestbev.com/7069.aspx
to see if perhaps that would be a better solution. I love MFL fittings.

Just reporting back for anyone who was losing sleep over this…every bottle was nicely carbonated with good flavor and body. Now for the hard test: how will they be in a month or six.

They should be the same carb level as the ones you just consumed as long as your caps seal.

I don’t like the slip over end on the gun either, but after many bottling sessions and no failures, adding a fitting is just one more solution that doesn’t have a problem, and it is a sanitation concern that just isn’t needed.

May not be a problem, but may be an opportunity for improvement. :wink:

May not be a problem, but may be an opportunity for improvement. :wink: [/quote]

Agreed, if it were my call I’d love to see a 1/4" flare fitting that is a standard, even on other parts of the beer gun.

May not be a problem, but may be an opportunity for improvement. :wink: [/quote]

Agreed, if it were my call I’d love to see a 1/4" flare fitting that is a standard, even on other parts of the beer gun.[/quote]
I just hope the compression fitting holds more securely to a stainless steel tube than it would on a brass/copper tube. That may be the downfall of my evil scheme.

I’m having a problem with the little rubber stopper. It keeps falling off. I wasted 45 minutes looking for it as it jettisoned it’s self from the gun…Twice. I went ahead and ordered some extras just in case I lose one again.

Anyone else have this problem?

[quote=“Shiney_McShine”]I’m having a problem with the little rubber stopper. It keeps falling off. I wasted 45 minutes looking for it as it jettisoned it’s self from the gun…Twice. I went ahead and ordered some extras just in case I lose one again.

Anyone else have this problem?[/quote]
Not yet, but that seems to be the top gripe I’ve heard from other users. I’m kicking myself for not ordering a spare. Will definitely add to my next order.

KC, you ever use the “we don’t need no stinkin beergun” method of bottle filling?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-n ... gun-24678/

I ask because, if so, I’d be curious to know how it compares to the Blichmann Beergun.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]KC, you ever use the “we don’t need no stinkin beergun” method of bottle filling?

I ask because, if so, I’d be curious to know how it compares to the Blichmann Beergun.[/quote]

It works great, so does a counter pressure filler. I’d be pissed if I bought a beer gun and it didn’t clean, sanitize and fill the bottles for me while I am sipping a beer.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]KC, you ever use the “we don’t need no stinkin beergun” method of bottle filling?

I ask because, if so, I’d be curious to know how it compares to the Blichmann Beergun.[/quote]
Sorry, can’t compare. I was happy enough with the price and convenience of the beergun, so didn’t really feel compelled to try the improvised solutions I had read about online. It didn’t take long to get the hang of the beer gun and I really like the one handed purge and fill technique. I really like it.

I agree with the above. I am very happy with my beergun. I have tried other cheap improvised methods and they work fine, but I won’t go back.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Silentknyght”]KC, you ever use the “we don’t need no stinkin beergun” method of bottle filling?

Sorry, can’t compare. I was happy enough with the price and convenience of the beergun, so didn’t really feel compelled to try the improvised solutions I had read about online. It didn’t take long to get the hang of the beer gun and I really like the one handed purge and fill technique. I really like it.[/quote]

How about mess? When I use the “stinkin” method, I have my fill wand at the very bottom, and then need to slowly pull out of the bottle near the end of the fill in order to ensure the beer is up to the top. Add in a bit of foam, and this usually creates a bit of mess/spillover. We have white(ish, now) carpet in the basement, and this doesn’t go over well with my wife.

Do you have to do the same with the beergun? If it’s elegant and mess-free, then perhaps worth the price.

Put the bottle in a shallow dish to catch the overflow while you fill…

[quote=“Silentknyght”]How about mess? When I use the “stinkin” method, I have my fill wand at the very bottom, and then need to slowly pull out of the bottle near the end of the fill in order to ensure the beer is up to the top. Add in a bit of foam, and this usually creates a bit of mess/spillover. We have white(ish, now) carpet in the basement, and this doesn’t go over well with my wife.

Do you have to do the same with the beergun? If it’s elegant and mess-free, then perhaps worth the price.[/quote]
For the occasional bottles the “stinkin” method works just fine and is quick to get going but when I want to do more than a few bottles I strongly prefer the Beer Gun. Pretty easy to use the Beer Gun without making a mess as you can easy purge remaining head space with CO2 before capping. Was able to bottle up 10 gallons of RIS pretty easily with a friend, far easier than the bottling bucket and priming sugar method plus I was able to dial in my carbonation exactly where I wanted it.