Black residue from cleaning the boil kettle

I purchased a heavy duty 15 gallon stainless kettle from a well known beer making supply store in California last May. The problem I have with it is every time I clean the kettle and wipe it out with paper towels, the towels are picking up this black residue. I used this kettle 10 times so far and clean it out with PBW then Starsan,then a final fresh water rinse every time. Most of this residue comes from the bottom, but some from the side as well. I just got off the phone with them. I was told to use a dish washing de-greaser soap like Dawn,that that should take it out. He said it was machine oil from making the kettle. Coming from China, who knows what crap is leaching out of the metal. I told him that had already been done and it did not help. That was the first cleaning I performed on it when it arrived at the house before ever putting it into service. He had no answer after that. Has anyone else had this problem with their kettles? Is there a solution to this problem?
Thanks
Brad

Let me get this right.

After you boil and empty wort, there is some kind of black residue on the INSIDE of the kettle?

After every use?

Definitely odd. I have had burn residue on the outside bottom after using my kettle outside with a burner, but that is simply from the heat.

If I were you, I would discard this kettle and purchase something new. You would hate to have batches get wasted cause of metalic taste, residue, etc.

[quote=“brewingdan”]Let me get this right.

After you boil and empty wort, there is some kind of black residue on the INSIDE of the kettle?

After the brewing is done, all equipment cleaned and put away the last thing I do is clean the boil kettle. When I look inside the kettle, there is a slight off color in spots. First I clean the kettle with a brillow pad inside and out, next I put PBW in the kettle enough to cover the port leading to the ball valve, then I connect my hoses from the kettle through the march pump back to the kettle. I circulate this for a while then just sut the pump down and let it sit over night if it is later in the evening. Next I replace the PBW with Starsan Circulate for a few minutes, pump the Starsan back into the bucket, then rinse the hoses and kettle with fresh water. Now I take paper towels and dry the inside of the kettle so I can store it and when I do I get this black residue on the towel, every time I do this process.

[quote=“Bier brauer”][quote=“brewingdan”]Let me get this right.

After the brewing is done, all equipment cleaned and put away the last thing I do is clean the boil kettle. When I look inside the kettle, there is a slight off color in spots. First I clean the kettle with a brillow pad inside and out, next I put PBW in the kettle enough to cover the port leading to the ball valve, then I connect my hoses from the kettle through the march pump back to the kettle. I circulate this for a while then just sut the pump down and let it sit over night if it is later in the evening. Next I replace the PBW with Starsan Circulate for a few minutes, pump the Starsan back into the bucket, then rinse the hoses and kettle with fresh water. Now I take paper towels and dry the inside of the kettle so I can store it and when I do I get this black residue on the towel, every time I do this process.[/quote][/quote]
Frankly, I think that with all that vigorous cleaning, you are stripping off the protective oxidative layer, which the BK reforms every time you boil again. You don’t need the brillo, PBW or starsan. After boiling and draining, rinse it out and leave it alone. If you have some trub/boil ring, use a plastic scrubby. You’re killing it man.

The cleaning process seems a little vigorous. Barkeepers Friend, some water, and a rag is all I ever use.

Not sure why you are sanitizing your kettle when you’re going to be subjecting it to extreme heat when boiling. No creepy crawlies can survive that heat.

The BK is the easiest equipment to clean after use. Rinse and a quick wipe with a soft cloth is all you need. The bottom of the kettle needs to change color, oxidize, and form that bottom layer. Just rinse before and after use and leave alone.

Wow! Man I hate to kill things. I appreciate all the feed back! Thanks everyone! After the boil and all the gunk stuck to the sides I thought if I didn’t’ clean the heck out of it I would have issues down the road. Being stainless I thought it should be spotless on the bottom. Gonna take all the advice and do the easy clean method. So the bottom of the kettle should be “seasoned”?

Brad

Just for your info, you should not clean a non-ferrous, ( MOST stainless), with a ferrous material, ( brillo pad).

What makes stainless “stainless”, ( as others have mentioned), is an oxide layer that forms on it.

Many good, (and not too vigorous!), cleaning methods offered here!

Ok, so the kettle is still useable?Just have to stay away from the Brillo pad and stick with soft cleaning? Live and learn. Thanks everyone again for all the help! :smiley:
Brad

+1 to bar keepers friend. Good stuff!

[quote=“Bier brauer”]So the bottom of the kettle should be “seasoned”?
[/quote]

No, not “seasoned” like “blackened” as you will see with aluminum pots. There’s no reason you can’t have it shiny. Try this: use soap & water and scrub out the gunk. Then use Barkeeper’s Friend to clean it the rest of the way. Let it dry and sit for a bit, and the oxide layer will reform naturally.

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]Just for your info, you should not clean a non-ferrous, ( MOST stainless), with a ferrous material, ( brillo pad).

What makes stainless “stainless”, ( as others have mentioned), is an oxide layer that forms on it.

Many good, (and not too vigorous!), cleaning methods offered here![/quote]

+1

You could be getting oxidation (rust) from the Brillo pads.

The only time I use a cleanser is if I get lazy and let it sit too long. Normally, a green scrubber and hot water is plenty.

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“Stealthcruiser”]Just for your info, you should not clean a non-ferrous, ( MOST stainless), with a ferrous material, ( brillo pad).

Many good, (and not too vigorous!), cleaning methods offered here![/quote]

+1

You could be getting oxidation (rust) from the Brillo pads.

The only time I use a cleanser is if I get lazy and let it sit too long. Normally, a green scrubber and hot water is plenty.[/quote]

I have used scotch brite pad and PBW, the water turned grey. I did that because of the bottom of the pot seemed discolored. Could that be the oxide layer I was stripping off? Some of the discolor still remained. Like I mentioned before, I’m laying off the abrasive cleaning and see what happens. I have a 8 gallon kettle exactly the same as the 15 gallon from the same people, and have no problem with it. I only use it to mash and not boil, that may be why.

you are going way to far on cleaning a boiling kettle, star san and such why?

[quote=“Bier brauer”]
I have used scotch brite pad and PBW, the water turned grey. I did that because of the bottom of the pot seemed discolored. Could that be the oxide layer I was stripping off? Some of the discolor still remained. [/quote]

Use BKF, scrub scrub scrub till it’s shiny, dry it, and let sit–dry–for a day in the air. Oxide layer will reform, and you’ll know its clean because it’s shiny. Done, and worry no more.

star san and shitty stainless coating can cause black issues to

I followed the advice given to me by the brewers who responded in this thread. After the brew session today when kettle cleaning time arrived, I grabbed a sponge and a wash cloth to use in wiping out the kettle. There were some tough spots that I had to use a scotch bright pad to remove. No harsh scrubbing was necessary. When I brought the kettle back into my shop and wiped it dry, there was no black residue!
Thanks everyone
Brad

I’d like to bump this 2 year old post because this is exactly what happened to me.

I had 2 old keggles that had some nasty polishing compound inside (dont ask). I used emery + Bar Keeper’s friend to clean it out because it was very difficult to get off at first. After many cleanings once it looked very shiny clean, i was still getting a gray residue wiping. Did the same thing using PBW and same result.

It was only after I had cleaned an old 5 gal brew pot in the same way, and the same thing happened, i started to put it together. I think as stated in this article you are removing some of the oxide layer. After using basic dish soap + sponge, rinsing clean and boiling water in it, no more gray residue.

Just re-bumping in case it helps others when they do a search

I agree. You are wasting your money using Star San on a vessel that will be filled with boiling hot liquid. I also agree no Brillo pads or any other metal scrubbers. I only use dawn and a scrubby sponge on my BK and only the scrub side on the tough spots. So it’s a little brown in the bottom, no harm.

I also have read that PBW should not be used for an extended soak with SS.