Black IPA - split secondary (nibs)

Moving the Black IPA (Extract) to a secondary this weekend and I am thinking about splitting the batch and adding cocoa nibs to one. Thoughts? How long before kegging should I add them into the secondary? Very much looking forward to trying this one. Thanks in advance!

I don’t think cocoa nibs would mesh well with the hoppiness of an IPA.

I would agree with the above post. When I’ve used nibs directly, they contribute a thick almost chalky mouthfeel that would not jive too well with a hop-forward beer IMHO.

However, if you want to try it, maybe it will work for your tastes. If you’re bound and determined to add them, I would almost pick up a tea ball or even a muslin bag. That way you can try it every few days and pull them when the beer has enough chocolately flavor.

Good points - thanks! Any suggestions as what to do to the other half? I like to try out different things to see how late additions affect the beer.

If you’re talking about NB’s kit, that beer already has a slight chocolate/coffee flavor to it due to the grains… at least from what I remember. I brewed it two years ago.

How about dry hopping 1/2 and not the other 1/2? Just to give you an idea of what dry hopping adds to a beer. Or maybe dry hopping each 1/2 with a different hop?

How about dry hopping 1/2 and not the other 1/2? Just to give you an idea of what dry hopping adds to a beer. Or maybe dry hopping each 1/2 with a different hop?[/quote]

this.

The recipe per NB says to Dry Hop with 1oz of Cacade 5 days before bottling (kegging). So maybe I’ll go with 0.5 oz of Cascade in one and 0.5 oz of Amarillo in another. Thanks, guys!

Go with the full ounce in each, if not more. You will NOT regret it!
And I’d pick something other than Amarillo. Cascade and Amarillo are substitutes for each other.
Try something like Cascade in one and maybe something like Simcoe or Chinook in the other.

Go with the full ounce in each, if not more. You will NOT regret it!
And I’d pick something other than Amarillo. Cascade and Amarillo are substitutes for each other.
Try something like Cascade in one and maybe something like Simcoe or Chinook in the other.[/quote]

I made the NB kit per the instructions and it is damn tasty, but can definitely handle more hops. So yeah, double the dry hop wouldn’t be a bad thing…