Black IPA flat - no carbonation

This was my 2nd home brew batch I ever made so I am a total newbie…

Just opened a bottle of my Black IPA and no carbonation. It was bottled 12/21 and stored in my basement at about 65 degrees. Is this normal? Does it need more time to carb? I just moved the remainder of the bottles to a warmer room in the house (70 degrees) to see if that helps…

It was primed with a fizz drop before it was capped…

Thanks for any help!!!

A little more detail, how was the fermentation? Length of fermentation? Any thought of capping problems?

Fermentation for 3 weeks before bottling. the cap seemed like it was on. My batch of Caribou Slobber (1st brew) seemed fine to me…

Open a couple more, that one maybe leaked. 65deg should be alright after a month. Havnt used those fizz drops much but I’ve heard people say you should give the bottles a little shake after a week or so. So turn them over and you could try to warm them to 70. Let us know how they turn out.

So I turned them all over. One bottle started leaking. I am hoping that the one I opened yesterday was also loose. I will give it another week before I try another. They are now stored at 70 degrees…

Sounds like a couple may have not been sealed properly. Put one that didn’t leak into the fridge for a couple of hours, and give it a try. I haven’t used the fizz drops either, I use table sugar and the priming calc. here on our host’s site…no problems yet.

Are you possibly re-filling bottles that were made for twist-off caps?

Are you possibly re-filling bottles that were made for twist-off caps?[/quote]

Unless Northern Brewer sent me twist off bottles I don’t think so…

[quote=“zephed666”]
Unless Northern Brewer sent me twist off bottles I don’t think so…[/quote]
Good. Had to ask since twist-offs seal poorly just like you describe. If you got the bottles from NB, they’re correct.

[quote=“JMcK”][quote=“zephed666”]
Unless Northern Brewer sent me twist off bottles I don’t think so…[/quote]
Good. Had to ask since twist-offs seal poorly just like you describe. If you got the bottles from NB, they’re correct.[/quote]

Hopefully it was just those two that the caps weren’t sealed properly.
It was the first time capping…

If you notice leakage just repress the caps you should get them to seal. I’ve done it, no need to remove the caps.

Just an update:
tested another bottle and this one was carbonated. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be. Not sure if I did something wrong or not. It was my second batch brewed…

On the brighter side, just tested a Dead Ringer after 2 weeks in the bottle and couldn’t be happier!