Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bitter and Sweet Orange Peel

Want to do a wheat beer and was thinking about using bitter and sweet orange peel. Has anyone used them? The grain bill is 50 % wheat and 50% 2 row. THanks

I do an orange peel wheat, an American wheat that is “dry-hopped” with a mix of bitter and sweet peel. Very tasty. I’ve also added peel at the end of the boil.

I was thinking at the end of the boil. Never thought for dry hopping with it. Which do you think works better?

Boiling gives a stable bitterness and flavor. Dry peeling gives a bit more of a fresh flavor and if you leave it in for a week or so it can be pretty powerful. I was throwing a sock of peel in the keg and leaving it in while we drank, it’d get very citrusy by the end.

Thanks, for the info!

I was thinking of doing something similar, maybe using some in the last 5 min and then again as a dry hop/peel. Was wondering how much you used, both when you added to the boil and in the keg? Never used the dried orange peel before, would 1oz at 5 min and another 1 oz in the keg be too much/too little? Thanks

heh. Got to love forums. You guys just gave me my idea for a summer beer.

wheat beer with bitter orange in last 5 minutes and sweet orange as a dry hop

hop with cascade for the bitterness, aroma, and dry hop with cascade as well.

Could be overpowering at first but I bet once it ages it will turn out great.

Thanks, guys! and Cheers!

An ounce in the last 5 is enough, and for the dry hop as much as 2-4oz can be used. I really don’t usually weigh the stuff, I just put about a cup in a hop sock. The oils in the peels are probably similar to what is found in hops though so you’d use similar amounts.

The really over the top orange peel wheat is a great summer beer. Its like a Shock Top on steroids.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]An ounce in the last 5 is enough, and for the dry hop as much as 2-4oz can be used. I really don’t usually weigh the stuff, I just put about a cup in a hop sock. The oils in the peels are probably similar to what is found in hops though so you’d use similar amounts.

The really over the top orange peel wheat is a great summer beer. Its like a Shock Top on steroids.[/quote]

Great, thanks!

I usually zest one large fresh orange while the wort is boiling and throw it in at 15 to go. Tasty.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com