Big Mouth Bubbler with new lid lock strap

I got a new Big Mouthed Bubbler with the new strap design that secures the lid.
I have to say I never had had problem with the previous design and the lid popping off because I just used the adjustable straps to secure the lid. The new design has created an actual lid strap as a stand alone velcro/Fastex buckle piece. Since the biggest complaint people have with the design is the lid popping off this is an obvious solution but a heavy handed one from a design point IMO.

3 Likes

Heavy handed is an apt description.

Given that a screw-on lid is a pretty simple design; it also feels like doubling down on stupid.

2 Likes

Something else to sell. I also wondered why they don’t make a screw top

1 Like

Looks to me like some kind of bdsm/brewing fetish device…

6 Likes

Hahaha

hahaha i’m not goin to be able to look at it the same way now danny

1 Like

How much do they cost? Just curious

The 6.5 is $35. I got my first one years ago for free as part of some deal. I have 5 gallon glass one that is really beautiful as well.
This is the far easier to deal with solution using the same strapping that they now provide.

Here’s my alternate design

4 Likes

Whatever works! I have the original plastic BMBs from prehistoric days; tops didn’t blow off, but they were infamous for air leaks. Best solution, and I tried a bunch, was copious amounts of KegLube.

Much more elegant than the strappy thing IMHO. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s about to get medieval on your wort.

1 Like

Kinky my wife would love it

1 Like

Me did step away from big mouth. Me do use the speidel fermentors.

1 Like

Do any of you use the depth charge dry hop insert? I have one and used it twice, but the jury is still out if I like it and am using it to it’s potential. The times I’ve used it I swapped the lids when the dry hop step came which made it easy but worried I’m introducing large amounts of oxygen. I don’t think I’ll ever get away from oxygen during the dry hop process cause I want to keep it simple and not have to buy all the closed transfer stuff, etc.

Long story short what is your experiences with the depth charge?

I have it and use it more for fruit additions or oak. I think it limits dry hopping however and prefer free range hops and filtering afterwards.
I have switched to pure spigot transfers and avoiding auto-siphons. That has helped maintaining my hop aroma.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you.