Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Biere de Table / WY 3725

I’m doing the Biere de Table recipe with WY 3725. It’s my first time using this yeast. I made a 1L starter, following the MrMalty calculator’s advice for the 1.043 OG, and hit that gravity pretty much on the nose post-boil. Then, I decanted all the clear liquid from the top of the starter, shook the rest, and pitched to my wort at 68-70F.

There is about a quarter inch of krausen, but the airlock only bubbled for a few hours. Is that normal for this yeast? Did I over-pitch, or is this a slow fermenter in general?

It looks like this one is just a quiet fermenter, even in the 75+ F temp range. With an OG of 43 on Monday, today (Friday) it’s sitting at 12-14, with an expected FG of 10 according to the recipe calculator I used.

What temp did you mash at? That will have the biggest effect on your final gravity.
Either that or a lot of crystal malts could lead to a slightly higher FG.

Not like your off by much though. 2-4pts is nothing.

The thermometer in the mash held at 151 F where it sat, though it could have been higher or lower in different places. I’m pretty happy with the numbers I hit since they seemed to be right on target. It was the fermentation being so calm that I was concerned about.

Now what I’ve got (7 days in) is a yellow/orange beer that looks like orange juice because of all the suspended yeast. I do hope it clears out quite a bit since this is supposed to be consumed young.

[quote=“Mikesterbrau”]The thermometer in the mash held at 151 F where it sat, though it could have been higher or lower in different places. I’m pretty happy with the numbers I hit since they seemed to be right on target. It was the fermentation being so calm that I was concerned about.

Now what I’ve got (7 days in) is a yellow/orange beer that looks like orange juice because of all the suspended yeast. I do hope it clears out quite a bit since this is supposed to be consumed young.[/quote]
It’s going to be a bit cloudy. The yeast I used was really low floccing. It’ll clear in the keg but if you can, it may help to give a few days cold crash.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com