BIAB Bag?

Hello I have a question regarding the BIAB method when using a bag does one put the bag into the kettle along with the water an heat up the water an the BIAB bag too or does one heat there water up to the point of where they are doughing in an then turn off the heat in my case it would be Propane gas an then line the kettle with my Bag an add the grain’s an mash. Basically what I am asking is I don’t want to burn my Bag that I use for BIAB Brewing…

I’m sure folks do it both ways that you’ve described. I wait until the strike water is almost to temp, then the bag goes in. I use small plastic clips to clamp the bag to the kettle-don’t want the heat coming up the side of the kettle to melt them. However, I don’t think you could burn the bag if you put it in from the start. Just make sure the bag goes in BEFORE the grain. Happened to a friend of mine. Ugly scene.

Cheers,

Ron

1 Like

I use metal binder clips like these clips

They are nice because they can flip down and you can put your lid on fairly tightly.

+1 to heat up the water, calculating the temperature loss for the grain volume entering, before adding the bag and then grain.

1 Like

I have been doing biab for a few years. I have had some great results both ways to be honest. Normally I put 2 bags in to reduce the weight, I have a false bottom which is just from a crock pot so the bags are not touching the kettle. I have never had an issue and I too clip the bags at the top of the brew kettle.

do you stir the contents of the bags?

BIABer here.
Using software, lately Brewers Friend, calculate strike and mash temps…
Add grain to bag(s) 2 or 3 usually to reduce weight as stated above.
Unless dong a German multi step mash, simply add grain already in bags to strike water at strike temperature, say 163 F or so. Cut heat.
Watch temps drop as I stir grain in bags to break up dough balls.
When at mash temp remove BK from heat and place in sleeping bags/ blankets etc for one hour.
My mash temps hold very well.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I use a mash tun with my BIAB. I also use a false bottom.my suggestion might be using a false bottom.

I usually put the bag in a bucket and crush the grain in to it. Then when I’ve reached the correct temperature I lower the bag and grain into the water, stir the grain well and break up any dough balls, check temp and adjust as needed. If I’m doing a multi step mash I’ll usually use a false bottom under the bag to protect it from the direct heat, or use my hoist to lift it off the bottom.

1 Like

You know I tried doing it that way and found it hard to break up the clumps. Now I just shovel it in and stir as I go. Your way would be simpler. Is there a secret?

I crush directly into my basket… Strike water is up to temp… it goes in… I stir… break up dough balls… then wait about 15 minutes and stir some more… But of course, I’m soaking my grains… I don’t see dough balls past that point… Sneezles61

Same problem here…only tried it once.

I have brought up to temp on a false bottom but it makes me nervous. So usually I just slowly “Dough in” to the bag added at mash temp

1 Like

Secrets? Dunno… Maybe it’s my fancy celtic knot carved mash paddle? Luck o’ the Irish and all…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes