Best way to keep a 5G Corny keg cool outside of kegerator

I am going to be taking one of my kegs up to a weekend campout and would like to know the best way to keep it cool. Are there any good/cheap containers I can use to cover the keg in ice?

I just used a little trash can packed with ice this past weekend. Then I run it through my homemade jockey box. Works perfect.

Buy a rope bucket from lowes or Home Depot. Fill with ice. Serve! Less than $10 total.

Do you mean a 5 gallon paint bucket?

Haha no. Lowes sells a large blue rope bucket for around $8. Not sure of the actual size. It’s what we put kegs in for keg parties back in college.

If you all grain brew with a cooler for a mash tun a pin lock keg fits really well inside. I would imagine a ball lock would fit pretty well too. You may just have some extra height with the keg over the cooler. I just traveled 10 hours putting a keg inside my mash tun (screen removed) with ice between the keg and cooler. Then put large towel around the top to help insulate since I couldn’t put the lid on. When I got to my destination, there was very little ice melt. Keg was tapped in less than 48 hrs…so my best advice…take TWO kegs if you can.

Cheers!

[quote=“mahoni”]If you all grain brew with a cooler for a mash tun a pin lock keg fits really well inside. I would imagine a ball lock would fit pretty well too. You may just have some extra height with the keg over the cooler. I just traveled 10 hours putting a keg inside my mash tun (screen removed) with ice between the keg and cooler. Then put large towel around the top to help insulate since I couldn’t put the lid on. When I got to my destination, there was very little ice melt. Keg was tapped in less than 48 hrs…so my best advice…take TWO kegs if you can.

Cheers![/quote]

That’s pretty much how I do it. I will take your advice about the extra keg though. :wink:

I have to admit I did not know what a rope bucket is. Thinking why would you store rope in a bucket? The handles are rope :smiley:

Hahaha! I guess that is why I call them that!

Mark I fell into the same trap… then I saw pic and it dawned on me.