Best type of chiller

Stick the 25’ in an ice bath and run it through a 50’ in your pot and it will chill it almost as fast as a CFC

I use a Jaded Hydra IC. Killer…

Looks pretty great. Might go with that

The other thing nice about a IC is you can do whirlpool hop additions. Don’t know how to do that with a plate chiller. That jaded Hydra looks awesome

Yeh I agree. Looks sweet

I use a stainless steel immersion chiller, but instead of running cold tap water through, I feed it from a bucket of ice water and a sump pump. Basically, I do the pre chiller setup you mentioned not wanting, haha.

I figured I may need a sump pump at some point in my life, so I got one for about $35 and the chiller itself was cheap too. The entire setup was cheaper than a plate chiller and works great for me. I basically run cold tap through until the water leaving the chiller isnt super hot, then I put the outlet hose of my chiller back into the ice water bucket. Once I do that, I can basically leave it alone. So, I let the cold water recirc while I just sit back and drink a beer.

I bet plate chillers are an overall faster process, but this was cheap, uses less water, and I can sort of set it and forget it. Works like a champ

1 Like

I don’t understand this infatuation with getting it cold fast. I do a lot of whirlpool additions and take awhile to chill. Your beer is not going to get infected. I’ll put the IC in and pretty much turn it on and off and the wort is 190 I’ll add some hops and let it free fall for 20 or 30 minutes sometimes layering more hops on the way down. All told it takes maybe 45 minutes to an hour depending on how many layers. Can’t do that with a plate chiller or CFC.

1 Like

I wonder how well the jaded hydra would work on a recirculating system with some ice.

I always thought that quick cooling would precipitate particles that cause chill haze.Also while warm blow Pasteurization is the most dangerous time for infection. The latter seems a stretch though.

Just chill it until cold break then start your whirlpool. I get very clear beer. And your probably not going to get an infection.

With my CFC, I recirc into the kettle until about 170, then I do my whirlpool hops… Turn the water off to the chiller but let the wort recirc… It works fine… Just not all my brews involve the whirlpool hops… Sneezles61

I don’t do many whirlpool additions, so chilling is the final step in my brewing process basically. I’d prefer not to sit there wasting water and spending a lot more time. Brewing is great and fun, but the last step is less so… So I want to wrap it up. So I like to get it done faster, and then go help my friends finish their brews

1 Like

I’m going to be working with the high gravity biab system that is 220 volts and 15 gallons so the electric element will hold any temp that I set it at. I’m thinking an immersion chiller would work nice if I want to do the hop stand I can turn the ice bath pond pump in the cooler on and wait until it reaches 180 or whatever, and then turn it off until I want to chill to pitching temp. The thermometer is digital and protected by a basket in the kettle. Any thoughts? I’m pretty sure that the hydra beast will fit in there I just need to measure.

I’m still going to go to a plate chiller… Should I choose, I can recirc, or straight to a fermenter… I think what ever you choose, it will work… Cleaning is 3/4 of the brew day… Not just sitting there watching… Sneezles61

1 Like

I think counter flow is the way to go. Easier to clean than a plate chiller and quicker heat transfer than an immersion chiller.

And if you wanted you could make your own CFC. I’ve even seen people put a piece of twisted copper wire in theirs to promote the wort as well as water to be turbulent so it cools quicker.

I made one a while back… It worked… I used the garden hose outer cover approach… I guess I’m being difficult… want something smaller, and did I mention… flashy-er? Sneezles61

I used to use a Shirron plate chiller. Got sick of it clogging, etc., so I switched to a “chillzilla” copper counter flow chiller, and have been super happy with it. At the time, it was more money than the chiller I’m linking below, and I totally would’ve went stainless if it was available.

Doesn’t get much flashy-er than this. :wink:

2 Likes

Mine is very similar to that except it is copper. I don’t think there were SS models when I got it. Only the water fittings are garden hose threaded. I have to clamp my tubing on the inside (wort) inlet and outlet. A minor inconvenience. Worth it because it does work well.

Interesting discussion here on Copper vs SS chillers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/5my5xp/stainless_steel_vs_copper

The copper ions staling hoppy beers thing is a bit disconcerting…then there is the copper is good for yeast health bit…:confounded: