Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Best brewing software/ app

Anyone have any good experiences with any particular brewing software or ipad app? I am wanting to tweak some 5 gal. Recipie and want something to convert ingredients down for 1 gal batches. ( I would rather experiment with a 1 gal batch vs. a 5). in the future I may want to convert up to say 10 or 15 gal. I just happen to trust a computer more with my yeast, and malt calculations than my paper and pencil.

I use brewpal on my iphone. Costs like $3 and has worked well with batch conversion. I brew 1 gallon batches for experiments as well and it works. I use spargepal for my water amounts and I think that one was free.

I use Beer Smith mostly. Have the program on my mac which allows you to do everything imaginable with recipes, and converting to different size batches like you said you want to do. I also have the beer smith app on my iphone which is connected to my laptop software so all you have to do is put your recipes on your cloud and they are right there on your phone.

iBrewMaster is another one i use as well on my iphone. It allows you to mess around with recipes and change between batch sizes and converts everything for you too. I like the print out sheet for brew day from this app, very clean.

[quote=“jethrobrewing”]I use Beer Smith mostly. Have the program on my mac which allows you to do everything imaginable with recipes, and converting to different size batches like you said you want to do. I also have the beer smith app on my iphone which is connected to my laptop software so all you have to do is put your recipes on your cloud and they are right there on your phone.

iBrewMaster is another one i use as well on my iphone. It allows you to mess around with recipes and change between batch sizes and converts everything for you too. I like the print out sheet for brew day from this app, very clean.[/quote]

+1

Only downside to Beer Smith and ibrewmaster is the price. Granted $30 and $10, respectively, is not bad and you are paying for great support and some more functions.

I’ve been using BeerSmith, and now BeerSmith2, for a few years now. It is easy to use, good for designing recipes and has a many useful tools. There are some features, like the inventory and shopping features, that I don’t fool with.

I really like some of the new extra functions in the both the PC and mobile versions like sharing recipes in the cloud and the brewday timer (a timer that alerts you to each step in your recipe). I had to spend some time developing an equipment profile and then tweaking it for my system/brewhouse.

Yes, all these features come at a cost, but they take the uncertainty out of beer recipe design and execution.

I’ve recently been checking out Brewtoad. It’s a free online calculator. It will automatically figure up smaller/larger batches for you.

I had been using Hopville, but I often had much higher OG’s than what was calculated. Hopville was recently taken over by Brewtoad. I decided to check a few known recipes from Hopville against their calculator and the numbers were much closer.

My favorites are:

I just tried BrewToad…WOW! I may have to switch. Really like this.

I use BeerAlchemy on the iPad/iPhone and the software for the Mac. When I started brewing it was the only real option that ran on the Mac and would sync with the iPad. Probably just because I got used to how it works but I had a hard time with BeerSmith when they came out with the 2nd version that ran on Mac. Can’t recall exactly what it was but I think it was how things were arranged around recipes and batches where I was used to BeerAlchemy’s ways which made my normal work flow difficult.

I also use inventory heavily and count on it to tell me what I’ve got in stock and what I need to pick up in order to make certain beers. Really like that it automatically adjusts the hop amount to keep the IBU contribution the same based of what the AA is of the hop I’ve got in stock. It also lets me have several different batches of a hop in stock (or grains), all with different AA’s. Could be wrong but I don’t seem to recall BeerSmith handling that as well, probably easy to work around but I already had a flow that worked for me.

I am an avid Beersmith 2 user. Worth every penny IMO. There is also a “lite” app that allows you to view recipes from the Beersmith cloud site and a full version that just came out, allowing you to create/modify recipes. I did not see the point of the lite app, but will probably give the full version a try on my tablet soon.

Been using promash for 8 yrs. I like it.

I’ve used many of the different programs on my computer and Ipad. Settled on Beersmith, really like it and works well for me. Also, Brad (the creator) is really great about responding to questions etc etc. With that being said, many of the programs are just as good. Check out a few of them and go with the one that works best for you. Several (like Beersmith) have free trials.

Thanks for the tips, thought of going with beersmith in the beginning but i think i may try brewtoad.

As a friendly heads up to anyone that uses ibrewmaster 2, do NOT install patch 1.3 if you have any google calendars synched to your phone or ipad. They apparently had an issue in 1.3 with ical integration because when I opened it for the first time tonight to do a little prep for my brew this weekend, it blew every non-recurring event from ALL of my google calendars. :shock: I spoke to their support team and they are rushing a patch to disable ical entirely from the app until they can get it resolved.

I completely deleted the app from my phone until they can get it resolved. Back to using the original ibrewmaster for now. I’ve never had any issues with it and it works well, now I’m glad I didn’t delete it.

:cheers:
Rad

As an update to last night’s post, I had an extensive email discussion with the developer last night (they responded to my initial email within 10 minutes) and after passing him all my settings, they found the issue and have corrected it. This will be patched in 1.0.4.

:cheers:
Rad

I like the Brewbot iPad app.

I use BrewR, its free for android. I like the brewtimer function that tells you when to add hops.

I also like having my favorite recipies on my phone when I enter the brew store. If they are out of something then I have backup plans galore.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com