Bells Brewery

Everyone get the update from Bells brewing? Two good breweries

yep for those that have not heard of the sale, Bell’s Brewery and New Belgium Brewing Join Forces to Form a New American Craft Beer Leader | Bell's Brewery - Craft Beer in Kalamazoo & Comstock, Michigan

Well… It happened, can’t change that… Two hearted is/was a fantastic brew… I appreciated the old ranger IPA… the newer Voodoo I just didn’t/wasnt able to warm up to it… I do hope they take a big bite out of the older mainstays… Sit them back down in their chairs… I’ll wish them the best!
Sneezles61

Hadn’t heard that yet. Interesting……Similar to Sam Adams and Dogfish Head.
Hope Bells maintains its autonomy and quality.

Not to sound too xenophobic however doesn’t a Japanese subsidiary own new Belgium?

Lion is Australian according to the presser

On further research Lion is Australian which in turn is owned by Kirin. Man its getting hard to follow. I rarely by anything thats not local. Im heading back to CO later this week ill steer clear of New Belgian. Not that there is a problem with the sale but they obviously dont need the $ help. A few local breweries in my daughters neighborhood we just go there. Know the owners and my son in law gets work from them so keep it local to them anyways

2 Likes

Kinda like the wizard of Oz… “Who’s behind the curtain”… That big voice…“DONT LOOK!!”
Sneezles61

So Larry had two health issues recently, and his daughter was CEO for a year during that time but has subsequently stepped down as CEO.

The nightmare scenario for me is now the Brazilians come calling ($$$$$$$) to Lion(Kirin) and then ABInbev will own just about every inch of every Beer display in the world.

Yeah this is a disappointment.

Sneaky shenanigans… One peep wants to be THE ruler… gggrrr… :rage:
Sneezles61

I think if we ever see Sierra Nevada sell out, we’re all screwed.

1 Like

Did read inbev been busy in colombia. Buying. And buying. During the covid lockdown few days ago went past the brewery here on bonaire. They no longer brewing. They do buy the beers now straight out of holland. He said cheaper to buy kegs of beer. The place now. Bar restaurant

Sounds like you are in tourist town. There was a World of Beer in Key West that closed. KW is a town where college kids go to slam Natty light with a beer bong and drink umbrella drinks. A bar with good but of course more expensive beer didn’t make it. Too bad. I liked to hang out there because it was never crowded during the day and one bartender knew his beer so I could try some he recommended. He suggested Piraat a Belgian triple I never heard of. Very tasty.

Every business has a life cycle. Who could have imagined GE being where it is today being broken up into smaller and smaller parts or Sears, the inventor of Amazon’s delivery platform 100 years ago, being basically crushed out of existence. I commend any business owner that can find a like minded and mission driven partner to keep the company and employees going when it comes time to bow out. I wish only the best for this merger.

I believe that is a Duvel… Moorgat (?) company… BIG… FULL… tasty!
Sneezles61

Larry Bell had turned down overtures from ABInbev around 10 years ago……as detailed in this fascinating book.

Similarly, I hope the merger works out well for fans of his beer and the employees. A lot at stake.

1 Like

I know people have soured on New Belgium but this is a great beer and i hope they keep it in the portfolio

2 Likes

Funny you mention that beer, my Dad bought a 6er of that and absolutely hated it. So he brought it over and I gladly finished them. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

Its an interesting beer from the can it says an IPA blended with a wood aged golden sour ale. New Belgium was originally brewed Belgium styles ( big surprise) they apparently only brewed Fat Tire to keep the doors open. Now of course they brew everything. Im in CO now and people are saying don’t drink New Belgium the Chinese own it. I told them that’s not true.

Way too many dis-informed peeps spreading their radical BS… It gets old…
Sneezles61