Beligian IPA with Wyeast 3522

I am brewing the Houblenmonster Beligian IPA Kit. Made a starter on Friday, didn’t get much action with the starter however a significant amount of yeast formed on the bottom so I figured it was probably alright. Brewed yesterday and pitched the yeast at around 84 degrees which I didn’t figure was a huge deal since the range of temperatures for fermentation were from 65-85 degrees. Got vigorous fermentation within around 6 hours from brewing and expected more of the same today however not so much unless I swirl the fermenting bucket. Is this typical with this type of yeast or is something not right?

You did ferment quite hot, so I would wager its already done.
I would check the FG. I personally would let it sit for a couple weeks on the yeast cake in the primary also.

Thanks for the response. Like you said, I will let it stay in the primary for at least a couple of weeks.

Wow, man, I’d never pitch or ferment that yeast that hot. First of all, I think the temp ranges listed by all manufacturers are too high. I keep the temps generally at or below the low end. Second, even with a yeast that likes warmer temps, you’ll be better off pitching in the low-mid 60s and letting it rise as it ferments. I’ve got a Belgian IPA made with that yeast fermenting right now, and that’s the way I did it.

Should I repitch the yeast, or is it too late for that?

[quote=“cmler”]Should I repitch the yeast, or is it too late for that?[/quote]The damage (from the high-temp pitch and ferment) is done at this point and likely so are the yeast - take a gravity reading to check, but you’re probably at FG already.

You made the same mistake I made a couple years ago… I did it around 77 and that proved to be way too high. I conditioned it for a long time to see if I can fix it, but the damage was already done. Ah well, it was still drinkable, but it really didn’t taste that great. Next time, try to keep it around 65 at least for the first a few days, and then you can let it go up to finish it at FG. I do love IPA made with 3522.

I just racked a Belgian IPA fermented with 3522 to a keg yesterday. Fermented in the mid 70’s. I really wanted the Belgian yeast flavor to shine. First tasting (still warm and uncarbonated) was very good! No complaints here.

So despite this misstep it might actually taste alright?

Maybe, although that’s pretty optimistic. Maybe “it might be drinkable” would be closer.

I’ve used this yeast in a Belgian Tripel and fermented in the mid 70s, beer was good, had some tropical/peppery flavors. I think your hops in this beer may not shine though with the high ferment temp, but your beer should be drinkable or better, only one way to find out.