Belgian Strong Ale 1388

Just curious why and how the stated max attenuation on these belgians can be so far off. On the website it states max as 78%, in my golden strong that started at 1.084 and ended at 1.011, attenuation is 87%, considerably more. I did use almost 14% belgian candi sugar as fermentable points, is this the answer to my discrepency? My second question about this yeast is how they describe that it will off gas co2 for quite some time after ferment. I always assumed that for yeast to create co2, some type of a fermentation process must be going on? Yeast eating sugars creating alcohol and co2. How is it that this yeast can continue to push out co2 if it is truly done fermenting? I realize that co2 can come out of suspension with movement of the beer and/or changing temperatures, but this is not what they are describing when talking about off gassing of co2 by this yeast strain. thanks, jon

You hit the nail on the head with your thought on the sugar. Basically if you take the gravity your wort would have been without the sugar and use that for your OG, you’ll be a lot closer to getting a more realistic attenuation number. Even then you might find that it outperformed Wyeast’s numbers.

Yes, if the yeast is producing co2, it is fermenting but it can be doing it very slowly and probably not taking much off of the FG. I usually keep beers made with this yeast in primary for 4 weeks or so to make sure it is done. Don’t bottle a beer with this yeast too young or you may well end up with overcarbonated bottles.