Beers in France

Anyone ever vacationed in France and checked out the beer selection? My family and I will be there in June this year, and I was just wondering what to expect. I see that there are a lot of local breweries but most seem to make the Belgian styles (blond, wit, browns, ambers). What are the chances I’m going to be able to get German beers in bottles there? Pretty good?

What part of France are you visiting? The closer you get to Germany and Belgium, the more options you’ll have. I’ve never really tried a lot of beer in France because it’s not on the top of most Frenchmen’s list, so most places, even bars and pubs, are not “defined” by their beer like here in the states. In France, it’s usually about the wine. But in Strasburg (on the German border), I found plenty of beer choices (mainly German and Belgian, and some local). Even visited a pub called “The Academy of Beer”. Pages of beer there. Please forgive my lack of specific knowledge, but your location in France will probably have everything to do with your ability to find good beer.

I’d say finding German beers won’t be a problem, especially in the northeastern part of France.

Cheers,
Ron

You might want to check out this link:

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/#france

Check out some Biere de Garde while you are there. Not all of them are funky like Belgian saisons. I think most of them are malty with some cellar character. I have never been there, but fresh, authentic BdG is hard to come by in the U.S. You might find something new to love.

You’ll have to search to find French beer, but it is available, and like SA Brew says, the BdG is well worth the effort. It might be easier to find in the grocery stores than at a bar. Look for it in 750 ml champagne bottles.

If you’ll be in Paris, there are a lot of bars that serve Belgian beers. German beers are more difficult to come by.

You’ll have to search to find French beer, but it is available, and like SA Brew says, the BdG is well worth the effort. It might be easier to find in the grocery stores than at a bar. Look for it in 750 ml champagne bottles.

If you’ll be in Paris, there are a lot of bars that serve Belgian beers. German beers are more difficult to come by.[/quote]

This.

Sans Culottes and Jenlain are two of the most noted examples (though they are available in the US).

BdG is one of my favorite styles. Not particularly funky, but think of an amber lager with a lot more depth of malt character with some sherry/oxidized booze/dried fruits.

I found that there is usually a pretty solid selection of bohemian pilsners available as well. You’ll find Kronenbourg 1664 and/or Carlsburg on tap at most cafes (I believe #1 selling beer in the country). Pretty solid continental lagers, similar to a non-skunked Stella.

If you happen to come across Staropramen pils (and you likely will, IIRC it is widely available in Paris, Lyons and Normandy/Bayeux), for the love of God buy, buy, buy.

Yeah, enjoy the Belgians…you must try a Leffe Ruby & a Grimbergen. The same Belgian beers we drink on this side of the pond or nothing like they are over there. (german beers will be in food stores in bottles on the shelves).

Enjoy your trip!

Look for Pelforth. They make a Blonde and a Brune- I had the Brune a couple of years ago near Paris.

Apparently it’s a “workingmans” beer that they feel is so common, it doesn’t deserve to be distributed outside of the country.

The Brune is a big, sweet, malty, brown ale. Very tasty.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4262/9090/

I was able to get Budvar at the grocery store, which made me happy. Drank Affligem Blond a lot. Got a small keg of it. I thought it was pretty decent. Drank some Leffe Blond and some Pelforth Brun. Overall nothing as terrible as I thought it would be, but nothing that stood out, really, either.

Seems like a lot of the younger crowd in Paris was into drinking beer. Seems like a craft brewery would do well. I also did more research, and there are some breweries doing cool things. The Mont Salève brewery actually makes some IPAs. They have an Aramis IPA that is made with French Aramis hops. I don’t know how their distribution is, though.

Thanks for the followup, jezmez!

No matter where i am, i prefered ordering beer from

Cheers :cheers: