Beer worsened towards the end of the keg

I brewed a robust porter and kegged it. It tasted fine until I got down to the last gallon or so. The flavor is weird. The color is different and it’s really hazy. Could anyone shed some light on this? I’m pretty new to kegging. It’s only my second time.

Describe “weird” flavor? astringent? Bandaid? rotten vegetable? Sulfury? other…

Beer Lines can get skunked/infected also…

1 Like

Change in color, usually darkening, tends to be caused by oxidation. Off flavors and haze in an older batch sounds like infection. A description of the flavor could provide more hints as to what/how.

Sounds like you’re getting down to the yeast and other solids that dropped out of suspension while it was on tap.

1 Like

That’s possible too. However, it usually just affects the last pint or so unless you move the keg around and disturb the yeast/trub layer at the bottom.

And that also happens when you pick up the keg to see how much is left in it… Rousing the yeast cake…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks for that link. Good info in one place.

2 Likes

It’s sort of like an extract twang but not as intense

I did have to move the keg to make room in my kegerator. So it most likely disturbed the sediment on the bottom. That seem like the most reasonable explanation. Thanks for the input

2 Likes

Give it a day or 2 and it should clear up again.

Quick update. Let it sit for a week. Cleared back up. Tastes great.

5 Likes