Beer poops?

I’ve been brewing beer for sometime . My self and friends numerous kinds all gain and extract. Everytime I drink any of it I get the wicked sh*ts! I can drink any kind of store bought beer. None of my friends have this problem. Obviously I’m not looking for a Dr’s diagonoses because I only have a problem with this. Do we think its a chance its not pastuerized and that would be giving me the problem. Just looking for some opinions and if anyone else has had this problem

Thanks in advance

Yeast allergy?

Yea perhaps. Im wondering if there would be a way to test that?

Ummmm, gassy maybe but not pooopy. If not yeast allergy, maybe grain allergy?

cheers

Do you bottle your beer? Or keg it? If you bottle it the sediment that’s caused by bottle conditioning can cause gas, maybe even slight diharrea. The solution us to chill the bottle at least 12 hours before drinking and pour SLOWLY and make sure not to upset te sediment or get in the glass.

That was my first thought, or maybe just a candida or other yeast overgrowth in the gut.
I’m not a doctor (I only played one in the movies) so take it with a grain of salt; you really should consult a real doctor if it persists.
He’ll probably suggest that you start to eat a lot of plain yogurt (with live cultures, like Dannon or Stoneybrook) or maybe to take a probiotic supplement…or both
(but let him tell you that).
In any case, I know (firsthand) that overgrowth of yeasties in one’s gut can defintely make one seriously question the notion of a gas shortage.
:cheers:

Good call. Does bread give you problems? Are wheat beers worse than non-wheat beers? If the answer is yes to either/both, it could be gluten related.

You’d think his ability to drink commercial brew would rule out gluten intolerance. I would think the yeast issue is the more likely. Seems like regularly repeated exposure to homebrew would eventually change the flora/fauna in the gut, the body seems to be able to adapt to these things eventually. Thats what I’d do.

Yes like I said I’m able to drink any commercial beer. It must be the yeast . Although I have no problems with breads either.

It could be a mental thing. There was a point when I absolutely could not poop without having a cigarette first. I quit smoking so I obviously had to get over the issue as well.

Don’t know if it makes a difference, but the yeast in bread would have been killed during baking.

+1 to what Lennie said, plus longer primary fermenter time allows a clearer transfer. Kegging helps, too!

Everything we brew is kegged.

I guess I will go with the yeast being the culprit @ this time and try to figure out a way to elimanate as much of it as possible. All beers r in primary for atleast two weeks then secondary and a week cold conditioned in corny another week. all transfers r siphon and we all stay away from the yeast cake. soooo I dunno

Home Brew definitley gives me the shi*ts

Then you’re doing it wrong. :shock:

[quote=“mikiesholtz”]I’ve been brewing beer for sometime . My self and friends numerous kinds all gain and extract. Everytime I drink any of it I get the wicked sh*ts! I can drink any kind of store bought beer. None of my friends have this problem. Obviously I’m not looking for a Dr’s diagonoses because I only have a problem with this. Do we think its a chance its not pastuerized and that would be giving me the problem. Just looking for some opinions and if anyone else has had this problem

Thanks in advance[/quote]

You might try a filtered homebrew if you know anyone who does that, otherwise maybe try a cheap filter setup to see if there’s any difference. Filtering would remove proteins at larger micron size and the actual yeast at smaller micron. It’s my understanding that the 1 micron filters remove the yeast and most commercial breweries filter their beers for clarity?

Just an idea.

Have you drank a lot of home brew yet? Cuz your system will get accustomed to it in time.

Been driniking it for atleast two years off and on . Mush as I can

Then you’re doing it wrong. :shock: [/quote]

Yeah thanks. Just expressing my experience in response to the OP’s question.