Beer NOT workin

I made an 90min IPA clone almost 48 hours ago and it never started

OG 1.074
Whitebread Ale Wyeast

The pack of yeast was expired by a couple weeks, but it swell up the package. I went to the store and got another pack of yeast but of course they don’t have Whitebread so I got London III and I am going to re pitch.

Any idea what I did wrong, was the yeast just no good any thoughts.

V

A swollen package is not an indicator of yeast viability. Also note that Wyeast uses a package date, not expiration date. What was the date on the package?

What size batch? Assuming a standard 5 gallon batch, you would need a few packs of fresh yeast to achieve proper cell count for 1.074 OG wort.

How did you determine that fermentation had not started? Unless your yeast really was not viable, you’re probably just experiencing a very long lag phase.

For future reference, I suggest looking into making a yeast starters, which will allow you to buy one yeast pack and propagate to get the right number of cells. This is one of the most important steps to making really good beer.

The yeast was package in June 2014.

It was a 5 Gallon Batch

It is not bubbling, it is also not lifting the bubbler up?

I have never made a yeast start I will look in to that thanks

V

Don’t go by the airlock activity. Give it another day or so and then check the gravity. If you have some krausen and the gravity is dropping the yeast are working. I have had several batches where the airlock never moved but the beer fermented just fine.

[quote=“vphoto”]The yeast was package in June 2014.

It was a 5 Gallon Batch

It is not bubbling, it is also not lifting the bubbler up?

I have never made a yeast start I will look in to that thanks

V[/quote]

That yeast is probably done for. The yeast calculators I use estimate the viability of your yeast at 0%. I’ve managed to rouse liquid yeast that was that old (took quite a while, though), but on the other hand, I’ve had zero luck with yeast packs that were considerably “fresher” than the one you have. It pays to pay attention to the packaging date on liquid yeast packaging, and if they’re more than two or three months old when you receive them, consider contacting the vendor for a fresher one. Also, it would be good for you to read up on pitch rates and making yeast starters. Your future beers will thank you for it.

Hopefully your London Ale yeast will do the trick for you in the meantime. Good luck. :cheers:

Yeah. I’d start getting comfortable making yeast starters if you like bigger beers. It’ll save you stressing about stressed yeast and make for better beer. It’s easy and worth the effort.