Been away of island

Back on have been so ocupied. Last few week. Me came back on island last sunday had some fam issue in colombia. Than had to prep for storm bonnie. Island went on lock down. But storm never came. Friday birthday. Lots of beer. And food. Yesterday fam thing. Meeting. More beer. So now of to work. Next week think about brewing. A dubbel ipa.

4 Likes

Glad that the tropical storm missed you. Season already heating up……already up to the letter D.

We had already arranged to put in hurricane windows throughout the ‘new’ place…… Then Covid hit and the owner of the company got Covid and died after a trip to Los Angeles by air the first month or so of the pandemic.
Two+ years later his son honored our deal and the price and we now have hurricane windows which were finished in early June. It would’ve cost us nearly $70,000 and we got the job for a little over 30k.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday Wilco! Hope alls well there for you…
Voodoo, wow oh wow… but then how much is it to replace windows… I wouldn’t want to imagine….
I’ve gotten to the point, our home is my island now… I don’t leave home much… very content not to jump in the vehicle and go…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

That’s quite a savings. Material has been coming down a bit but not sure about windows. I know custom window delivery lead time is a problem depending on the brand. Anyway i see construction is continuing around here despite what is amplified on the news. Not sure why but gas went from about $5 to $4.59 this past couple weeks not sure why. Something I noticed about firewood being sold in people’s driveways has gone up $2 or $3 dollars a bundle. They say inflation although thats not exactly how it works. The people selling for last year’s price are selling quick the other boxes remaining full. A little microcosm.

2 Likes

I know it’s a heck of a lot quieter in here now with the new windows, and it feels like the air conditioner is not running as often. Plus the peace of mind that I won’t be doing the ‘plywood shuffle’ every 3 to 5 weeks during hurricane season.

1 Like

The price of plywood may off set the cost of the storm protection…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Me thinking about electical. Shutters. So i can close them when not on island or bad weather on the way. Like these things shops use when they are closed

1 Like

We have those at our condo in Cape Canaveral. They also work well. Just have to have a power source such as a computer back up battery ready if the power goes out before you get around to closing them. Or more importantly opening them after the storm has passed and the powers still out for days.

1 Like