Batch 19

Batch 19

A pre-prohibition beer that Coors found in their basement, log book date’s 1919 and they claim to re-create this beer in its former glory.

I was excited to see this limited production beer when Coors announced it :smiley: . And now I can buy it locally, so maybe it is not so limited anymore?? Or maybe it passed the initial test run.

From what I’ve tasted I like it, I just wish I could get my hands on the growler they showed when they posted their adds. I’m keeping the bottles just in case they decide to end their limited production, I like the bottles and hope to purchase a bench-top caper of some kind so I can cap the twist off bottle with my own beer, from what I here it can be done just not with the butterfly type caper.

Has anyone else tried this beer and what are your thoughts?
:cheers:

i’ve had it and must say its very good too bad its made by one of the big 2 otherwise i would buy it.

Don’t you read Stephen King? 19 is pretty much the unluckiest number there is. Stay clear of this beer, and whatever you do, DON’t bottle your homebrew in those bottles!! :shock:

just had one thought it was very good, reminded me of a very light pale ale, liked it alot, interesting to see where the style started at

Just picked up a sixer and I must say that I am not too fond of it. It is good enough that I will finish off the other 5, but I doubt I will buy it again.
It does have a dank smell (in a good way), but I get no other nose from it.
It has a tangy but malty taste and I get nothing else from it.
Bottom line, it is beer and we all have different tastes.
Cheers.

I like Batch 19 because it is nice to taste history. To get an idea of what people were drinking back then. I must say, today with all the light beers, we’ve become wimps and our beers have become cheap and watered down(big brewery’s). This is why I enjoy making my beer, I have not had a bad batch yet, and they have all been full bodied beers.

NB kits I enjoy best so far…

-American Wheat, always easy to make and friends enjoy.

-T-Can Wheaten beatdown, very good halfway between wheat and pale ale.

-Winter Warmer, added “Christmas” holiday spices(ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg). Drank all but a 6 pack last year. Tried one this year and WOW is it smooth and delicious, not to mention powerful.

I’m hoping to do a Bock or Double Bock, I’ve been liking that style of beer lately. Why? Because I can!

:cheers:

I was there when Tenth and Blake (the micro brew branch of Miller Coors) tested Batch 19 in 2011! Loved it! And have recently tried their new Batch 19 bock and love it too!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater .

They didn’t even have a tapper for it at the time.

Wait! They are coming out with a batch 19 Bock?? Did they say anything as to when they expect to release?

Very interested!!!

I saw the bock last weekend in a liquor store in Milwaukee. It’s probably around by you.

I’ll check Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, they seem to always have everything.

Never been to Discount Liquor but I saw it at Otto’s.

Good to know, I’ll check them out too.

I grew up in Lannon, so I’m familiar with the Otto’s in Menomonee Falls. Next time I swing by my dad’s I’ll stop there.

I tried this beer, and I thought it was decent, but nothing to write home about. My biggest problem with it (and some others I’ve seen ) is that it’s “inspired” by an old recipe (whatever that’s supposed to mean), and not actually brewed the way it would have been back then. My response to that approach is: what the hell is the point? It just seems like a cop-out to me. It’s like they want to make a beer with some retro-cool appeal, but they aren’t willing to really put out something that is what it should be, and I don’t understand why. The beer industry is at the point now where we beer geeks will pretty much try anything if it sounds good and unique, and if the mega-breweries want to get the attention of those outside the mainstream, they might as well just go for broke and create something that actually competes with the micros on a purely qualitative level. If they don’t want to do that, they might as well just keep on making their yellow fizzy crap and call it good, as far as I’m concerned. Anyway, I had no problem finishing my sixer, and I wouldn’t say there were any major off-flavors to it necessarily, but I still won’t bother buying another one any time soon, not when there are so many other beers on the market that are so much better.

I had a chance so pick up a 6pack. Poured it into a glass and first thing I noticed is the color. It seems to light to be a bock. Smell seems ok a bit malty not over done on the hops. Taste is more like the honey bock I tried from New Glaris, I would say it is a bock but not a full deep malty bock like it is supposed to be.

Unless their “old” recipe was more like the lighter bock, I too don’t think they nailed it. I feel it needs more.

I personally like the Huber Bock another Wisconsin company that is still around, I think they have been bought out by Miller but I’m not sure. So far for the price the Huber Bock is good, dark malty and a bit bread like.

I would recommend this(Huber Bock) beer over the Batch 19 Bock. The best I think is the Paulainer Double Bock. Pricey but really good.

[quote=“amxman”]I had a chance so pick up a 6pack. Poured it into a glass and first thing I noticed is the color. It seems to light to be a bock. Smell seems ok a bit malty not over done on the hops. Taste is more like the honey bock I tried from New Glaris, I would say it is a bock but not a full deep malty bock like it is supposed to be.

Unless their “old” recipe was more like the lighter bock, I too don’t think they nailed it. I feel it needs more.

I personally like the Huber Bock another Wisconsin company that is still around, I think they have been bought out by Miller but I’m not sure. So far for the price the Huber Bock is good, dark malty and a bit bread like.

I would recommend this(Huber Bock) beer over the Batch 19 Bock. The best I think is the Paulainer Double Bock. Pricey but really good.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure Batch 19 is not supposed to be a bock. It’s a pre-prohibition American-style pilsner. That’s why it tastes nothing like a bock.

There is actually a Batch19 bock. I’ve seen it at the liquor store.

Really? I had no idea. I guess I was wrong on that one. But that, in my mind, just begs the question: how can you make a portfolio of beers out of what was supposed to be one specific recipe for one beer? That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

Yea, the Batch19 Bock is not as available as the regular Batch19. That being said it is ok but not as good as I think it should be. Being brewed by Coors they are most likely limited on how heavy or true they can be. That most likely is why it is so light.

I also think they are trying to capture an era, the pre-prohibition beer. I think an earlier post’er mentioned or maybe I read it on “Coors” website that it is dated somewhere in the 1920’s or something for the Bock recipe.