Bar Harbor Real Ale

I was in Maine this past weekend and was really pleasantly surprised by the available craft brews that I was able to enjoy.

Perhaps my favorite was the Bar Harbor Real Ale by Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor.

The web site says:

[b][i]Bar Harbor Real Ale

A good, clean nutbrown ale with a malty body. This is our most popular ale due to its smooth and malty flavor.

We use a mixture of pale, crystal and black malts in this one, and our primary hop is Target, though we also add some Whitbread Goldings Variation as well.

The Real Ale is best fresh, so fresh in fact, that it’s great right out of the bright tank.
[/i][/b]

The color was a stellar deep golden copper and it was really fresh tasting with little to no hop profile. I think it was about 5.2% ABV.

Anyone want to help take a stab at a recipe for this?

A lot of the maine brewers use ringwood ale yeast. There is a big british ale influence in maine (mostly because of Alan Pugsley). I can’t say bar harbor has that, but if they are using Target and WGV hops, chances are it’s a british strain of some sort.

Thanks, I was sort of guessing that and picked up a pack yesterday at my LHBS

Well the brewer responded:

Hi Alan-

I can’t give you exact ratios but below is the ingredients in order of most used to least.

Love, Pale malt, Crystal, Black malt, the hops are Pilgrim and WVG.

Cheers,

Tyson
Atlantic Brewing Company

I am not at all familiar with Love malt?

Do we think that by Pale Malt, they are using Marris Otter? Or Pale Ale Malt? (domestic?)

I bought some black malt the other day. Think it is debittered or regular?

Are Pilgrim the same as Target hops

I’m pretty sure “love” is mentioned sarcastically and not actually a malt. They should’ve mentioned passion as well :cheers:

As far as black malt, I would make the assumption of it being regular black malt…if I were to provide recipe hints I would mention debittered.

[quote=“dsidab81”]I’m pretty sure “love” is mentioned sarcastically and not actually a malt. They should’ve mentioned passion as well :cheers:

As far as black malt, I would make the assumption of it being regular black malt…if I were to provide recipe hints I would mention debittered.[/quote]

Ha Ha, we I certainly considered that but a) figured that was a weird thing for a male brewer to list (kinda touchy feely?) and b) I came across “Pearl” malt recently and had never heard of that or seen it in a recipe, so “maybe” there was a love malt too.

But yea, guessing you are correct :cheers:

Oh and they use Nottingham yeast. Interesting.

I’m just wondering what kinda “love” he put into it!!

So I brewed this back in October and it came out too dark but the flavor was really close to what I was looking for. Any thoughts on the recipe and how to get it from very dark to a deep copper color? Obviously I used too much black patent malt at 6.4 oz.

Recipe: MPW - Real Ale
Brewer: Alan Hamm
Asst Brewer:
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.30 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG