Ballantine IPA?

I’m totally resurrecting this zombie of a thread because I finally found this beer! Picked up a couple of six packs at a liquor store in Chippewa Falls, WI. Not sure what that means in terms of distribution strategy, but at least I can confirm that this beer does exist. I’m chilling some now, and will be having some tonight.

Don’t chill it too much. Honestly, like most well hopped beers, it tastes better when not frozen cold.
I picked up my first sixer in a while last week; I actually ran out of homebrew for the first time in ages! and my own IPA still has about three or four months to age in order to reach my minimum to start drinking it .

This last sixpack of the Bally IPA disappointed me a bit, in that it poured visibly hazy and even had some floaties…I think Pabst seems be getting a bit sloppy here. The flavor and bitterness were ok (still too much citrus and not enough pine) and the aroma still falls short of the original…but it’s still pretty decent.

Next month, Pabst is rolling out their ‘revival’ of Ballantine Burton Ale (though without the original solera treatment and unfortunately, like their current version of the IPA, without any long aging like the original).
Evidently the new iteration of the Burton is clocking in at 11.3% ABV (a good bit stronger than the original was). Should be interesting…
[attachment=0]BallyBurton_sm.jpg[/attachment]

I see what you mean. This is a bit cloudy, too. It’s funny, I’ve been drinking a few oak aged IPAs lately, and here’s a distant relative. The wood is pretty awesome in this. It’s strange to have something that tries to accentuate bitterness over aroma/flavor. The body seems weird to me, too… Like it’s kind of thin and weak, but really sweet at the same time.

Going to necro this thread again. ECY “Old Newark Ale” is back in stock, so what better time than now to attempt a clone of this!

Anyone have any thoughts on the original recipe posted at the beginning of this thread, versus the one in Mitch Steele’s IPA book?