Ball lock vs pin lock?

Is there any practical advantage to ball locks over pin locks, or vice versa?

At least a few places I’ve looked, pin lock kegs seem to be quite a bit less expensive than ball lock ones. So I’m wondering why I shouldn’t go for them instead, even if they aren’t as common.

I use ball lock because I like the smaller diameter and the pressure manual relief valve. See below for a bunch of info in general.

From cornykeg.com:

Pin Lock Cornelius Kegs: Pin lock Cornelius kegs are also known as Coke kegs, because this style was used exclusively by the Coca Cola Company and use a pin-lock style disconnect to connect and disconnect to the liquid and gas lines. Pin lock Cornelius kegs have small pins around the perimeter of the post. The disconnects are pressed on the post and the collar rotates to lock onto the pins.

Ball Lock Cornelius Kegs: Ball lock Cornelius kegs are also known as Pepsi kegs; this style was used by Pepsi but was also used by everyone else so this style became more popular than the pin lock. Ball lock Cornelius kegs use a ball lock disconnect to connect and disconnect to the liquid and gas lines. Ball lock disconnects lock on by lifting the collar up, pushing it on the post and then releasing the collar.

The Differences:

Other than the connections there are a couple of other differences you may find between the two styles. The first difference is the dimensions. A standard Pepsi style keg is about 3” taller and 1” smaller in diameter than a standard coke style keg.

The second thing you will find is that the Pepsi style Cornelius Kegs typically have a pull ring relief valve in the center of the lid while the coke style Cornelius Kegs have a “fuse” type relief valve. In the case of the Coke style Cornelius Keg most people just depress the gas side post to relieve pressure from the keg.

#1: If cramming them in a tight space is a concern, check out the difference in shape (Ball are taller, narrower; Pin are shorter, stouter).

#2: If cost is a big concern for you like it is for me, choose Pin-lock & don’t look back.

#3: If venting is a concern, it shouldn’t be. It is quite easy to depress the gas-in post of a pin-lock keg.

That’s just about exactly what I was hoping to hear! :cheers:

Use the threaded disconnects. Then if you run across a deal on either kegs you can easily switch out disconnects and serve your beer.

+1
I run both with my setup. This makes it quick and easy. Its pretty easy to find pin locks with PRV’s in the lid now days as well.

+1
I run both with my setup. This makes it quick and easy. Its pretty easy to find pin locks with PRV’s in the lid now days as well.[/quote]

And there are bolt on PRV’s you can add. If you fell like drilling a hole in your lid. Or purchase a lid with the PRV on it already.

Or just depress the “gas” poppet.

You definitely don’t need the PRV, but they are handy to have.