Back to the NEIPA

So you like the result of the FWH, no bittering, WP/DH method?

I do. I’m sliding in a 5 minute today’s brew to see what it brings now that I’ve done the last 3 no boil additions.

I’m a fan of a bit of wheat in things as well

Do you use wheat malt or flaked wheat in your IPAs? I’m not looking for the haze as much as adding some body to the lighter IPA grain bills I’m moving toward.

Wheat malt no flakes. I have used flakes before didn’t do much for me. I’m not trying for the haze for the sake of haze. I’m trying to keep some of the hop materials up to help with aroma. I don’t care for those thick NEIPA like more of an old school NEIPA like Sip of Sunshine

1 Like

Red wheat is my favorite

1 Like

I haven’t bought a full sack of wheat yet but I guess I should because I’m going through it. I pay $1/lb bulk as opposed to$1.60 by the pound. So $50 vs $80. What’s it about the red that you like

There is not much difference between Red and White really. The Red Wheat has slightly more Diastatic Power so since I pay the same amount for either I go with Red for that reason alone.

Frugal

1 Like

I’ve read that red is more “wheatier” :joy::roll_eyes:

1 Like

If Brew Cat can brew with corn flakes, why not try some Wheaties? Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m working on a wheat NEIPA after having an excellent version recently.
Currently halfway through the mash
5 gallons to start
4lbs Belgian pilsner
2lbs Vienna
1lb Golden promise
.5 lbs Honey Malt
3.3 lbs Wheat LME (It’s Friday night and I’m lazy)
1.75 lbs flaked Oats
mashed BIAB 153F
Sparge 1 gallon at 170F
.5oz Warrior Pellet 20 min
1oz Wakatu Pellet 20 min
2oz Belma Pellet 10min
2.5oz Ekuanot Leaf
3oz Cashmere Leaf
After straining into my fermenter I will end up with about 4 gallons of wort. With all the leaf in the kettle I plan on adding water to the kettle and draining from the kettle to make up the missing gallon or so. I hope to be able to wash all the hop matter of residuals

Yeast will be Kveik Hornindal and Bavarian Wheat pitched at 78F

1 Like

I have to say the oats looked really great in the beginning of the mash. The whole mash looked like milk. When the process was over that milky appearance was gone. I’ve heard of people adding oat milk at the end of the boil and I guess I see why.

Oat milk ? I’ve never thought of that. Might be something I can add to secondary in a sour

It’s readily available here as an alternative to almond and soy milks. It’s fairly expensive premade but it’s easy to make on your own if you have a Nut Sack. A BIAB can work but it’s a bit finer mesh

Yes they carry it in the store here and I’ve had it just never thought of putting in beer

I’m amazed you could resist my nut sack link. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks more like a diaper! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Sneezles61

1 Like

Who didn’t chuckle when they read “if you have a nut sack”? :joy:

2 Likes

I had to ask my wife what it was called as she’s the alternative food maker in the house.