Back Sweetening Idea

I have 1.5 gal. of hard cider that fermented down to like, .0995
It tasted dry, but good. I used Lavlin EC1118 champagne yeast.
My idea to back sweeten, is to mix in some fresh, local fresh cider, from a different apple, and a different orchard, that has a small amount of preservatives. I believe it was, less than .001% sodium benzoate.
If this tastes good mixed with the hard cider, I will bottle. I will fill one plastic bottle and use it as a control for the carbonation. I want to see if this yeast will produce any carbonation with the trace of preservatives. If not, I will be happy with still cider.

Great idea. I have always wanted to backsweeten with apple juice concentrate but still never tried that myself. Maybe this fall I will give it a shot. But freezing some fresh juice for the sole purpose of backsweetening might work really well. I might do that too. Guess I just can’t make up my mind and keep on doing things on the fly every year. One thing I will definitely do is play with a couple of different yeasts this year again. I just bought some Scottish Ale 1728 yeast to try. It’s supposed to work great in cider. Soon I shall find out.

:cheers: