Back from the dead

Ok…first batch for me and everything seems to be going great, until today. I brewed up some Caribou Slobber about three weeks ago…was in the primary (NB Plastic Bucket) for 10 days, then transferred over to the secondary (Better Bottle 5 Gal Carboy) where it has been for a week. Did a reading on the hydrometer and came out at 1.018. As far as I could tell, all was textbook.

Then today, I notice the airlock bubbling again every few seconds. I have had it in a temperature controlled room at 67 degrees during secondary fermentation.

Should I be nervous, or is this normal?

Check the gravity and see if it’s falling, which could be a sign of an infection. If no change, it’s probably just CO2 coming out of solution from a temperature change (warming up, even a couple of degrees, will cause the beer to lose CO2).

Just thought of a theory…got the carboy in the shower sitting over the drain. The weather has been cool until yesterday when things started warming up. Any chance the slight difference in temperature could be coming up through the drain and waking the yeast?

Warming it up won’t matter if fermentation is done. It’s likely what Shadetree said is happening. I’ve had beers in secondary for 6 months and the airlock will bubble occasionally from random outgassing.

Sounds good…thanks guys.

Warming it up won’t matter if fermentation is done. It’s likely what Shadetree said is happening. I’ve had beers in secondary for 6 months and the airlock will bubble occasionally from random outgassing.[/quote]

Gas comes out of solution at a warmer temperature, so that’s likely what you’re seeing. Trapped CO2 would come out if the beer warms up. It’s not really “random”

Well…turns out the yeast just wasn’t done yet. All is well. Just racked into keg and tried a sample. Pretty darned good. My first batch exceeds expectations. Thanks NB. Looking forward to the Extra Pale with some dry hop action next…

posting.php?mode=edit&f=26&p=977380#