Awesome IIPA, need opinions!

I want a seriously hoppy, bitter yet flavorful beer with awesome aroma. Ive made big IPAs before but I want this one to be even better.

Extract with steeping grains (steep 30mins? at 150f?…thoughts?)
5gal batch……6gal boil.
Wyeast American Ale 1056 or 1272…not sure yet. (Thoughts?) Will make a 2liter starter.
Servomyces and Whirfloc.

Malts:
7lbs Golden Light LME
2lbs Golden Light DME
1lb Crystal 10L
1lb 2Row

Hops: (all pellet)
60 mins- 3oz Magnum
15mins- 3oz Centennial
10mins- 2oz Centennial
5mins- 2oz Centennial
DryHop for about a 1.5 weeks with 2oz Centennial, 2oz Citra and 2oz Cascade.

Im planning on fermenting at about 62-64f…1.5 weeks Primary and then add the dryhop for another 1.5 weeks.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the hop schedule? I want big flavor and strong bitterness…also great strong aroma…Any ideas on steeping time/temp. Also which yeast would be better for this…American Ale l or ll? The beer will be kegged, prolly carbed at 15-20psi for a few days.

Thanks.

Are you looking for extremely bitter or more hop flavor?
With a full wort boil and 3oz of magnum at 60, there are some serious ibus here. You could likely roll that back to 1-1.5 ounce.
EDIT Just sampling a recipe on hopville with 3oz of magnum(60 min @ 14 AA) you’re already at 93 ibu*
Centennial is a great hop to showcase, i’d say with 7ounces from 15 till 5 in the boil you should have sufficient flavor and aroma.
Personally in my ipa / iipa’s i like tons of flavor and aroma with enough bitterness to offset the malts. With a 3oz charge @ 60 of likely 10-12 AA hops this is gonna be a tongue peeler. My last diipa used similar amounts of hops, with 1.5 oz of chinook at 60 mins, with a whole ton thrown in at flameout and whirlpooled then let stand for 80 mins. (tons of flavor and aroma, with just enough bitterness to offset the crystal)

As far as the steeping grains, you could likely steep @ 150 for 30mins and still extract some sugars from the 2-row / c10. I would NOT steep it in the full 6 gallon however, perhaps only 2-2.5 gallons. Even without the 2-row, holding the C10 at 150 for 20-30 mins will pull whatever color / flavor you were looking for.

Just my .02 :cheers:

Yeah, 3oz of Magnum at 60 minutes is a bit over the top (and I like IBUs) - figure out your total IBUs and then shoot for 50% from the bittering charge (and you could use 50/50 Magnum/Centennial if you want to add more bite) and the other 50% from the late additions. And all that extract plus crystal is going to leave you with a higher FG than I would want in a IIPA - I would cut the crystal and/or sub in some cane sugar for some extract to get the FG down around 1.012.

www.beercalculus.hopvilled.com

I highly recommend plugging your contrived recipes in here. As a rookie myself this site has saved me and my crazy haired ideas a ton of grief. Like they said, keep those boiling hops low since you’ll be getting none of the flavors and just the bittering agents from them. All the flavor you want is at the end (15-0 minutes before flameout). Unless you want the 98 IBUs O_o I don’t know though. I’m a hophead and when they get that high you’re going to need a lot more than your average recipe to make it work.

hmm yeah everywhere Ive posted this people have gone nuts over the 3oz of Magnum at 60mins…but idk, the last IPA I made I used 2oz of Summit(16-17%AA) at 60mins and honestly it wasnt that bitter. I want to make a Mikkeller 1000ibu style beer…big bitterness and big aroma/flavor at the same time. I do love really bitter beers soo idk if its a matter of personal preference or what.

The malt bill Im using is exactly what the extract version of the Ruination IPA recipe calls for, I believe the recipe appeared in BYO mag a couple of years ago…it asks for 6.6lbs Gold LME, 2lbs DME, 1lb 2row and 1lb crystal 10. You guys think it will finish too sweet and mask the hops??

I like the grain bill, if I were you I would blend the dry hops up into the boil too, instead of just straight centennial. Ferment it out with a huge starter of wlp090 or a couple packets of us-05 and you would be golden, keeping the temps down in the low 60s will really help and keep the hot alcohols down that sometimes come with double IPAs. Man this has me excited to do another double IPA! Good luck…

[quote=“henryfdez”]The malt bill Im using is exactly what the extract version of the Ruination IPA recipe calls for, I believe the recipe appeared in BYO mag a couple of years ago…it asks for 6.6lbs Gold LME, 2lbs DME, 1lb 2row and 1lb crystal 10. You guys think it will finish too sweet and mask the hops??[/quote]I would go with 80% light DME, 10% C15, 10% sugar and you can sub out 2-row for the DME if you want to do a mini-mash, but don’t steep base malt. Use WLP007 (the Stone yeast). You’re shooting for an FG around 1.012 which is a challenge with extract, but this ought to get you close. Ruination is in the 130 IBU range (calculated), if that helps, all Centennial.

First of all, you need to pay attention to the ratio of IBU’s to gravity. Most beers don’t go over 1.0. Secondly, if you use malt extract you will likely have trouble getting the terminal gravity down low enough, you might consider adding some simple sugars to help you out there. If you get lousy attenuation you risk have a combination of very sweet, heavy bitter beer which I personally don’t like. Good IPA’s are fairly dry which increases the drinkability and that is the trick to making good high gravity IPA’s. Anyhow, good luck.

As clean a bittering hop as magnum is there’s no reason you can’t go three ounces, if you want.