Artesian well water

I have access to artesian well water. What if any are the advantages of using artesian well water?

There may or may not be advantages. You won’t know til you have the water analyzed.

I am seriously asking- what is the difference between artesian well water and regular well water?

Many people use well water to brew. I brew solely with my well water and treat it using recommendations from Brunwater.

You’d need to get a water test done to know how suitable yours is for brewing. You can do that through a service like Ward Labs online. Just request the brewers test.

Nothing. An artesian well is just a well drilled through impermeable rock to reach an aquifer.

dark bitter beer if the well is hard, most are, but that does not mean yours is so the only way is to have the water tested. also keep in mind that some of those well will change over time and especially with weather conditions and the seasons. If the well is really soft you could make some good pilsner based lagers. also if the well is not vary deep you could be drinking contaminated surface water bottom line you need to know the water’s profile to start to make any determinations on how to use it.

Nothing. An artesian well is just a well drilled through impermeable rock to reach an aquifer.[/quote]

Actually, an artesian well is a well that is under enough positive pressure to allow water to flow toward the surface of the well by itself. It’s generally a result of drilling a well into an inclined aquifer. Look at it as rolling a garden hose out down a hillside, capping the lower end, and filling it full of water. Now poke a hole in the hose at any point downhill from the upper end, and water will flow under it’s own pressure. Note that not all artesian wells produce enough pressure to flow to the surface, but are under only enough pressure to cause water to rise upward in the well for some distance above the base level. Here’s a pic to illustrate. By the way, whether a well is artesian or not has nothing to do with the chemistry of the water itself, or vice versa.

Need to get our tap water tested(our local municipal water supplier doesn’t test for sulfate content) which I really want to know for IPA brewing…question is: how has Ward laboratory been to deal with? Anyone have another suggestion? Thanks!

Ward labs was great to deal with.

Agree. My bottle disappeared midway (forgot to tape one side of the tube :oops: ), and they sent out a new tube and label. No charge.

Ward Labs is easy and reliable. Just print out their form, fill your own bottle send it in and they return the results. Couldn’t be simpler really…

Ward Lab is fantastic. Fast service, no hassles, inexpensive compared to everything else I’ve seen. I’ve never had any reason to look for an alternative.

Well, those of us who are a bit long in the tooth know that artesian well water was the reason why Olympia beer was one of the finest beers in the U.S. until SABMiller shut down the Tumwater brewery in 2003.

Well, those of us who are a bit long in the tooth know that artesian well water was the reason why Olympia beer was one of the finest beers in the U.S. until SABMiller shut down the Tumwater brewery in 2003.[/quote]

I assume that’s tongue in cheek?

[quote=“Denny”]
Ward Lab is fantastic. Fast service, no hassles, inexpensive compared to everything else I’ve seen. I’ve never had any reason to look for an alternative.[/quote]

I have looked for an alternative, and there simply is none within 10x the same price.

My club recently presented a great talk on water and water modification. We sent 4 water samples from the area to be analyzed and the results produced were fast and easy to read. Make sure, as mentioned, that you chose the beer analysis option.

Why spend the extra money for info you may not need? I have always gotten test W-6 and it provides me all the info I need at a lower price than the beer analysis option.

I went to the site and the only difference seems to be total phosphorus and iron between the two kits. And eleven dollars. Many strong recommendations received for Ward labs and that’s who I will go with. Thanks again!

Come on Denny! You’re not telling the whole story. I heard you went up to Tumwater, crawled down that well, and had a real long talk with those little ‘Artesians’ just before you started to homebrew!

Old guy is right…if you weren’t paid a visit by the Artesians, you probably would have never come up with that BVIP recipe.