Arsenale R&D IPA # 1

Brewhouse efficiency: 68% (actual)

OG 1.104
FG [prior to dry hop]: 1.019 (degassed)
FG [after dry hopping]: 1.017 (degassed)

18lbs 2-Row
3lbs Munich
12oz Simpsons Carared
8oz Carapils

145 for 60 min (1.3 qt/lb)
155F for 10 min (decoction)
170F for 10 min (decoction)

2.25 oz Warrior @ 90
1.00 oz ea Amarillo/Centennial/Chinook @ 30
2.50 oz ea Mosaic/Amarillo/Centennial @ 0

WLP002

Dry Hop 1: .5oz ea Amarillo/Mosaic/Apollo
Dry Hop 2: .5oz ea Apollo/Mosaic/Amarillo/Simcoe
Dry Hop 3: .5oz ea Amarillo/Mosaic/Apollo
Dry Hop 4: .5oz ea Apollo/Mosaic/Amarillo/Simcoe

Dry hop cycles of roughly 4 days

After cold crashing, drinks like a glass of stone fruit, melon, and citrus sherbet. There’s a bit of heat and green to it that one person swore reminded them of fresh (green) tobacco.

Beer still needs to be carbonated; will report back later.

Cheers.

Why are you mashing at 145?

Attempting to dry out a massive malt bill. Produces a higher percentage pf fermentable monosaccharides.

Cheers.

Looks like a barleywine to me, not an IPA. :wink:

Is this a 5 or 10 gallon batch?

There’s always a BJCP guy around… :wink:

5 gallons.

[quote=“alphastanley”][quote=“Shadetree”]Looks like a barleywine to me, not an IPA.[/quote]There’s always a BJCP guy around…[/quote]Not a BJCP-inspired comment - assuming typical WLP002 performance, you’re going to end up with a fairly sweet (FG > 1.025), highly-hopped, high-ABV beer, which to my tastes is an American Barleywine. If you had used WLP007 instead, you’d likely end up with an Imperial IPA (FG < 1.020). You can certainly name your beer anything you wish, but if someone handed me a glass of “IPA” I wouldn’t be expecting 10+% ABV.

I ended up at 1.017 (degassed) on a pro hydrometer. I think I could have hit below 1.015 with a higher pitch rate (I pitched 300 billion cells), a second O2 hit at pitch +24h, and a rousing. Based on sensory analysis alone, I believe I’m at the ABV the hydrometer indicates I am.

Fermentation was solid at 65F until I raised it to 70F to clean up. I do not detect a high fusel load, but that is sensory alone.

I used WLP002 after reading about it on the Bertus Brewery blog. He has had similar performance (OG 1.096 - FG 1.014) using WLP 002.

I’m glad to share yeast samples for analysis [ :wink: ] if you are interested…

Cheers.

[quote=“alphastanley”]I ended up at 1.017 (degassed) on a pro hydrometer. I think I could have hit below 1.015 with a higher pitch rate (I pitched 300 billion cells), a second O2 hit at pitch +24h, and a rousing. Based on sensory analysis alone, I believe I’m at the ABV the hydrometer indicates I am.[/quote]Missed that part in your OP, was reading the recipe. That’s impressive performance for a yeast that’s supposed to drop out before it really gets the job done - extra O2 and rousing can obviously overcome it’s slackitude, though.

To be perfectly honest, I was surprised too. But WLP002 is what (supposedly) Firestone Walker uses in their Burton Union system for Double Jack, which is a ~10% ABV, 1.011 FG/1.090 OG Double IPA, so somehow there is something with this yeast that either White Labs is understating or works with this particular combination of sugars in this fermentation structure.

Cheers.

I might have missed this answer, sorry if I did, How long was fermentation? Primary and 2nd?
S