Are these amounts right?

I just want to make sure I’m using the right amounts. I should be going for 50ppm of potassium metabisulfite to reduce wild yeasts right? I was told up to 2 tsp per gallon of pectic enzyme? Is that too much? Is 1/4 tsp per gallon of potassium sorbate and 50ppm of kmeta enough to stop fermentation? I also have yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. How much should I use?

I use 1campden tab/gal 24hrs prior to pitching, 1/2tsp/gal pectic enzyme.
I also use 1/2tsp/gal stabilizer and campden to stop fermentation.

I know about the campden tablets before pitching to reduce wild yeast, and the potassium sorbate to stop fermentation before kegging/bottling/backsweetening, but if you don’t mind, could you explain what the pectic enzyme and kmeta are, and why they are used?

Thanks, would love to know.

Pectic enzyme prevents pectic haze from forming. Pectic occurs at different levels in different fruits, but it is a good idea to use it for any fermentation where you add fresh fruit or juice - and yes that can even includes grapes for wine making.

Kmeta is short for potasium metasulfite, the active chemical in campden tablets. Potassium Sorbate doesn’t stop a fermentation, it only stops the yeast from reproducing. Kmeta kills or stuns yeast for a time. Adding them together at the end of the process is an effective way to stop fermentation in its tracks and make sure it won’t restart.

And to the OP: please tell me you are using cider that has no preservatives added. In the past few days the board has been full of people asking why the cider isn’t fermenting and the answer is always the same.

Thanks for helping out guys. My current batch is my first of hard cider, and I’m definitely picking up knowledge on it as I go. I rolled the dice and simply pitched yeast without any campden. So far, luck is with me. I’ve tasted it a couple of times when measuring the gravity and it had no off tastes to either me or my wife (the latter being the more important taste tester). Actually, though on the dryer side we thought it tasted quite good.

It’s been fermenting for almost most three weeks, though activity is really starting to slow now and it’s beginning to clear up some.

I will definitely add both the campden and the potassium sorbate to the cider before kegging/backsweetening.

Will the lack of pectic enzyme risk the batch in any way? Baratone said he adds it before pitching, so obviously I missed that opportunity. Is the haze just that; a haze or does it affect taste or quality?

I add the pectic enzyme immediately to fresh pressed juice with the campden to both prevent pectin haze and reduce browning of the juice. Pectic enzyme can be added later to help remove haze.