Anyone harvesting yet?

I noticed that some of the wings/petals on some of my cascades are turning brown/tan. I’m just wondering wtf is going on that ounces of hops would be ready to pick already. It’s friggen the beginning of June…
Some of them are 2in long and it’s not like the plants have dried out or anything. They’re growing great, plenty of water.

Oh no, I still have another 3 months before I start thinking about harvesting. I won’t have any burrs for another month, but congrats on your speedy hops.

My bine doesn’t even get started on the cones until mid August, and then depending on the weather it can be chancy if they will ripen before the first hard frost (usually in mid October). So no, not yet.

There’s some pics I posted the other day in the Hop Growing thread. Just came from out there, they definitely need to be picked. More are turning a light tan-ish green. Break one up in your hand and it definitely smells like pale ale ha…

I’ll post pics after I pick this weekend. Be happy to get a couple ounces dry… although I’m probably underestimating.

Kudos to you on growing hops in FInland…I imagine it is a rather short growing season, but from what I understand the increased amount of daylight throughout the summer kind of makes up for it??? I traveled to Oulu and Helsinki in July about a decade ago, and it was just astonishingly beautiful…It would be a place I would love to go back to…I doubt it will happen though, as my original visit was to go visit a girl from Finland I had met in France, and we had “romantic encounters”…this was all long before my wife and I but somehow I feel she might not be too keen to go back there…watching Bizzarre foods with Andrew Zimmern that was filmed in Finalnd, and she was getting a little testy just because I enjoyed watching the show…jealous much??? LOL…very healthy

Well I am definitlynot “northern” and one of my 1st year cascades already has quite recognizable cones on it. Im talking a tad over an inch long here. I really did not expect to see these come on until much later in the season. The other cascade is still just vegitative as are the centineal, pearl, and willimette. All are first year plants planted from 4 inch rizomes put in the ground this spring.

Barry

Harvested from two Cascades this morning. Ended up with 2 pounds 2 3/8 ounces wet according to my digital scale. Some of them might have been early but most of them needed to be picked. I still don’t know wtf is up with picking in the middle of June. Only my second year doing this but I don’t think that happens too often. Still tons of caps and hops showing so hopefully I’ll get a fall harvest. I just hope this weird early crap won’t throw them off. Last year I was picking in September. This is like 2 1/2 months early…

Pics to follow, they are on a screen with a fan gently blowing on them in my shed.

Cheers.

Here they are. Some of them turned out quite large. I was suprised.

do you live on top of a chemical waste site??? man how do you have harvestable cones already???

everything is first year, so at most things are only about eye level.

I don’t know what to tell you. I’m a little weirded out myself. All I can think of is the hops face the sun till real late afternoon, the ground is awesome here (there was a huge huge backyard garden on this property that spanned the lots around me since the late 1800s…), and maybe luck? I’d almost rather all the hops hold off till the fall. I don’t know if this is going to be good, or hurt me in the long run.

I’ll also say when I planted those cascades, I dug a huge wide hole, filled it back in with real good compost from our garden, and there’s no gutters on the stucco shed so it gets plenty of water. The soil is amended really well. I can literally go down there with a 5 gallon bucket full of water and pour it fast at the base of the plants and have no runoff whatsoever, which means it’s all going where it should be.

The really weird thing is that there’s a Magnum planted right next to those Cascades and it’s sucking compared to them. Just 2 vines running up the string, no buttons/caps or anything…

I don’t know what to tell you. I’m a little weirded out myself. All I can think of is the hops face the sun till real late afternoon, the ground is awesome here (there was a huge huge backyard garden on this property that spanned the lots around me since the late 1800s…), and maybe luck? I’d almost rather all the hops hold off till the fall. I don’t know if this is going to be good, or hurt me in the long run.

I’ll also say when I planted those cascades, I dug a huge wide hole, filled it back in with real good compost from our garden, and there’s no gutters on the stucco shed so it gets plenty of water. The soil is amended really well. I can literally go down there with a 5 gallon bucket full of water and pour it fast at the base of the plants and have no runoff whatsoever, which means it’s all going where it should be.

The really weird thing is that there’s a Magnum planted right next to those Cascades and it’s sucking compared to them. Just 2 vines running up the string, no buttons/caps or anything…[/quote]

What year is the cascade plant? It might be fine, you may just end up up with two harvests off your plants, which would be an awesome bonus…very jealous, as here in Southern Maine, my sidearms haven’t even started growing yet… sad face, sad face…

My Cascade plant usuallygives me two harvests. It blows up andgives me an early harvest before my Magnum. Then it slows down and gives one more harvest before the end of the season. It’s a trip because then it just keeps on givin. Mine is a second year plant and it’s already flowering.

Mine are 2nd year as well.
I’m an avid gardener (mostly vegetables) so I’d like to think I had something to do with it, but I’m sure it’s got more to do with all the soil amending that the previous people did on the property. The old man I bought the lot from said that when he was a kid, 1930’s I guess, his father used to have the Amish bring in wagons of manure and such. I’m right near the water too so I bet there was a lot of fish heads/parts buried around here as well.

When I grew cascades I would get a harvest around July 4th. That is the earliest I had a harvest. The cascasdes always gave me a few harvests. I currently only have Nugget and they seem to harvest in August and September.

It being the second year I’m not knowing what to expect ha… I guess that’s fine with me. I just got done food saver bagging the dried hops and put them in the freezer.

I ended up with 6 3/8 oz dry from 2 pnds 2 3/8 oz which is about 5 - 1. Sounds about right. Anyway, it was a nice treat for June! :cheers: