Any Issue Carbing In Growlers?

I bottle my beer and, therefore, carb in the bottle. I am thinking about throwing some growlers in the mix to cut down on the sheer number of bottles I deal with and to also make it more convenient to transport the beer. One growler is much easier to bring back home than 5 - 6 12 ouncers.

The descriptions of the growler that I have read all say something to the effect of “don’t carb in the growler.”

Two questions:

Can anyone give me some guidance on whether or not you can carb in your average growler (lawyer warnings aside; which I can say because I am a lawyer)?

Regular old priming routine for growlers? Or, is something else needed.

Thank you so much for the asistance. I really appreciate it.

I’ve carbed in growlers, it’s nice since you have a lot fewer bottles to fill that way. It was never an issue for me, but there is a lot more beer/sugar to be consumed with a decent amount less pressure resistance. So just be wary, don’t mess up and stay clean.

I have done it - I worked fine.

I learned more about it, the growlers are not pressure rated for carbonating - they could break.

I do not do it anymore, and would not recommend it.

Just buy a case or two of one liter swing tops from NB, or other source - I generally do a mix of bottles when I don’t keg. Maybe do 4 1 liter bottles, a dozen 22 ouncers, and then some 16 oz. grolsch or regular 12 ounce bottles. Using a few 1 liter bottles, puts a pretty big dent in the bottling process right off the bat.

I learned the hard way just last weekend that carbing in growlers is a gamble.

I had one blow up WEEKS after bottling. It blew glass clear across my basement and made a huge mess.

I have always incorporated a few growlers into my bottling process, but will not be doing it anymore…the 30 minute cleanup and risk of stepping on overlooked, tiny but oh-so-painful-when-you-step-on-them bits of glass make it a no-brainer to eschew the growlers for bottling.

Use 1 and 2 liter plastic soda bottles instead.

1+ cheaper, safer, and disposable. Plus if you give beer away you don’t have to “beg” to get those expensive growlers back. Soda bottles will hold more CO2 pressure than you will ever put in a beer. Also fill one up 3/4 of the way with beer, squeeze out the air and it will pop back to shape when the yeast is finished with the priming sugar. Note: The beer still needs time to absorb the CO2 at that point

Also these handy little caps http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-carbonator.html
will let you carb beer in a bottle with just a CO2 regulator (no keg needed). Additionally you can re-pressurize 1/2 empty bottles whether beer or soda.

Flip top growlers (like the ones stone, russian river, and most pennsylvania breweries use) are fine.

My future father-in-law just had one go on him for the first time. Horrible mess. I have probably bottled in 20 or so growlers without incident so it is kind of a gamble. Much better then vegas, but still a gamble.

When RR fills growlers they add a hose to the tap and put it under that tap for filling… No added pressure… just the carbonation that is in the brew. That is quite different from adding sugar to the growler to naturally carbonate.

Good luck.

+1 to swing top growlers from Stone. I regularly fill at least one up per batch. Never had an issue. Not even close.

Growlers, like the ones pictured below are only rated for pressures up to 2.5 volumes at 45F, about 15 PSI. They are NOT rated for 30 PSI, which is the pressure it takes to bottle carb a beer to 2.5 volumes at 70F.
[attachment=1]Growler.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Growler%201.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“JusPlainBill”]When RR fills growlers they add a hose to the tap and put it under that tap for filling… No added pressure… just the carbonation that is in the brew. That is quite different from adding sugar to the growler to naturally carbonate.

Good luck.[/quote]

It’s true that is how they fill them, but you know how thick they are? I haven’t seen an official PSI rating but i’d bet $100 they can handle more pressure than a 12 oz bottle can

Thank you for the replies. Seems that although carbing in a growler will probably work ok, there is a chance for a bottle bomb. So, I think I will pass on carbing in the growler. I will probably try plastic soda bottles or something like that.

has anyone tried to reuse the PBR quart bottles or like the mickeys ones?