Any BURP (DC Area) Members?

Is anyone on here a member of the BURP Homebrew Club in the Metro DC Area? I just joined and was curious if I would meet anybody at an event they are having this weekend.

I’m a member of the DC Homebrewers.

I did not see that crop up when I was looking for clubs. Maybe I was looking for more MD.

Pretty new at this but pretty much been figuring out stuff on my own and looking for local people to learn from, especially as I move to all grain.

I’m not yet a member of any club, but I am going to join CRABS at my first opportunity. It’s much more convenient for me location-wise, as they meet at Clipper City in Halethorpe.

I brew all-grain and would be happy to advise if you don’t find any BURP members…

not a member of any club. frankly i don’t really have the time these days (young kids, old house, etc.). however, i am happy to answer any questions as best as i can. feel free to PM me if you want. i have only been brewing for about a yr. been doing AG for a few months now. also, keep an eye on CL, i always see brewing stuff on sale there in kensington and frequently olney.

I’m in the MD/Potomac area - not a member of any club currently, but might as I get more time and the kids out of the house…
Brewing all grain, 10g batches at least once a month. Mostly ales, some lagers. PM if you want information or want to brew.

I’m not a member of any club either. I’ve thought about joining but just never got around to it. I’ll wait until my job situation (or lack thereof) gets straightened out to join.

I’ve been brewing for 5 years with the last two or so years being all-grain. I’ve mastered the art of all-grain brewing in a one bedroom apartment. It’s tricky! I’ll jump on the bandwagon and say if you have questions, want to brew, etc. feel free to PM me.

When I first went all-grain, I was in a one-bedroom condo doing full-wort boils on a gas stovetop. I wouldn’t say I’d mastered it (still not sure I have 5+ years later) but I sure respect anyone who can!

Luckily for me, my wife is really cool and supported my hobby and all the space requirements, time, and smelling up our home (according to her :cheers:

…by the way, is everyone around here from MoCo :stuck_out_tongue: ? I recall a guy from Fredrick and somebody from Baltimore a while back, but I haven’t heard from them for a while.

Howdy,

I live in MoCo - Germantown. Brewing for 5 years, AG for 4 years mostly Belgians.

-Cheers

I’m in Potomac/w. Bethesda area. Started about 25 years ago, took time off while the kids were young and brewing strong last 5-6 years.

Ok so “mastering” is way too strong of a word. I brew in my apartment without setting the place on fire, tripping over things, spilling too much, and my neighbors haven’t reported me yet. Oh and I make decent beers now and then. I’m far from a master. I probably tweak something every time I brew!

I’m in Rockville by the way so yes to MoCo.

Springfield, VA here. All-grain. Mostly German Lagers, english ales, and late hopped American ales. Pretty much anything but Belgians- yuck!

[quote=“TheGeneral”]Ok so “mastering” is way too strong of a word. I brew in my apartment without setting the place on fire, tripping over things, spilling too much, and my neighbors haven’t reported me yet. Oh and I make decent beers now and then. I’m far from a master. I probably tweak something every time I brew!

I’m in Rockville by the way so yes to MoCo.[/quote]

I hear you. It is a challenge to do in a small space :slight_smile: , but not impossible. You boil on the stovetop, I assume?

Probably my biggest issue in my one-bedroom condo was finding space to store all the equipment between brewdays…

:cheers:

I actually boil outside which is why I’m really surprised that the neighbors have not been nosey or called the management office. I learned my lesson when I tried to boil inside and the steam killed the microwave.

Storage is definitely an issue. Luckily, I was given a pretty large outdoor closet to store my stuff in and my girlfriend doesn’t complain too much about me taking up the space. As a non-beer drinker, she even kind of likes the idea of having a three-tap kegerator in the living room. I’m definitely a lucky guy.

Thanks everyone for the replies and offers. I will probably PM a few of you with questions as I still have to wrap my head around some all grain issues.

I guess I am lucky that I have grown kids and some room to spread out devoted to my brewing, but the wife still complains about how much stuff I have already and I am not at all grain equipment yet.

I would love to stop by and chat if anyone has an all grain brew day coming up soon

If my hops arrive before the weekend, I’m probably brewing on Sunday. PM me if interested.

[quote=“TheGeneral”]I actually boil outside which is why I’m really surprised that the neighbors have not been nosey or called the management office. I learned my lesson when I tried to boil inside and the steam killed the microwave.

Storage is definitely an issue. Luckily, I was given a pretty large outdoor closet to store my stuff in and my girlfriend doesn’t complain too much about me taking up the space. As a non-beer drinker, she even kind of likes the idea of having a three-tap kegerator in the living room. I’m definitely a lucky guy.[/quote]

Yeah, I would have liked to have boiled on the balconyin my old place, but I was pretty sure that there would be complaints. Good for you that you are getting away with it. Otherwise your setup sounds a lot like mine was–I didn’t keg at the time, but the fermentation fridge consumed about the same area. I managed to push a lot of “our” stuff out to an outdoor storage area so I could keep my equiment stored inside :stuck_out_tongue: