Another question for someone

I brewed 2 beers today. The first, NB Honey Kolsch, turned out perfect, with OG at 1.50.
The second, NB Innkeeper, did not. OG should be 1.048, but my readings said 1.34. The only thing different about the second boil was that the propane tank ran out of fuel with about two minutes left in the boil, and precisely 3 minutes after the final Syrian Golding hop addition.

Also I aerated wort and boiled 3g. This is my 14th brew and first time I have not hit OG. Any thoughts?

TIA

Extract or all grain?

extract

Full boil or partial? Did you double check the weight of the extract before adding? With extract the only two things I can think of is exceeding your total volume or you didn’t have all the extract you needed.

I boiled 3 gallons of water. Took two readings and both came out around 1.34.

I added all ingredients per instructions. Like I said, propane tank went out at 58 minutes. I did not think that would matter much, so I didn’t hook up spare tank to restart.

A shorter boil would mean less evaporation. And a higher gravity.

With extract brewing, the only way to NOT have the OG listed is:

1: not enough extract was added.
partial boil:
2: more/less top up water added.
3: top up water not mixed well enough with the wort.
full boil:
4: not enough/to much boil off.

To be off 14 points you either have to much liquid or the sugars are not mixed well enough.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]A shorter boil would mean less evaporation. And a higher gravity.

With extract brewing, the only way to NOT have the OG listed is:

1: not enough extract was added.
partial boil:
2: more/less top up water added.
3: top up water not mixed well enough with the wort.
full boil:
4: not enough/to much boil off.

To be off 14 points you either have to much liquid or the sugars are not mixed well enough.[/quote]
I agree. If you used a kit and added all the extract and had 5 gallons when done it is unlikely your gravity could be off that much. Two minutes off the boil would not make any difference IMO. I would just forget the reading and continue on. I bet it will be fine.

It could be that when you took your sample your wort was not mixed fully with the water you added to the carboy.

have you checked the calibration on your hydrometer? I discovered the paper sleeve inside mine slips (going to replace it) so I double check it before EVERY use.

I’ve not used a hydrometer in years. I’m techy and anal about some things, but I never pull that booger out of the sleeve.