Another new dry yeast option. And it's a saison

Danstar Belle Saison Yeast

Danstar’s Belle Saison is a Belgian saison-style ale yeast, a breakthrough in the world of traditional dried yeasts. Get all the great esters and phenols that are so desirable in an authentic Belgian-style saison, with the convenience of dried yeast! Danstar’s technical analysis indicates that it does not experience the sluggishness common with “Dupont”-style strains.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... yeast.html

Nice.

Good to see more dry strains coming out. I’m not into saisons, but I know a friend who’ll likely want some of this.

First person to brew with this report your results.

It seems odd that I just noticed this, but it seems most of the Danstar yeast recommend a 100g to 100 liter pitch rate (roughly two packets per 5 gallons)

I’ve always used dry in accordance with what safale recommends which would be around 1 packet to 5 gallons…at a reasonable gravity of course.
With Danstar being $4-$6 depending on variety, liquid yeast is starting to look a bit less expensive.

[quote=“dsidab81”]It seems odd that I just noticed this, but it seems most of the Danstar yeast recommend a 100g to 100 liter pitch rate (roughly two packets per 5 gallons)

I’ve always used dry in accordance with what safale recommends which would be around 1 packet to 5 gallons…at a reasonable gravity of course.
With Danstar being $4-$6 depending on variety, liquid yeast is starting to look a bit less expensive.[/quote]
What??? The yeast manufacturers are trying to sell more yeast? :mrgreen:

My friends just brewed a Brewers Best partial mash saison kit yesterday at the brew club meetng. It came with this yeast. I’m excited to see how it comes out. They said they had activity just 9hr after pitching.

Just finished bottling my Meadow Mouse Farmhouse Ale (1.036 OG). I was going for a moderately hopped, easy drinking beer with a bit of malt character in the background and a modest saison spicy/phenol character. This is more or less what I ended up with judging by the taste of the short-pour at the end of the bottling session. I will post a more complete taste analysis after it has carbonated and give my opinion on the Dupont vs French Saison nature of the taste.

I did not ferment this real warm–around 72 going up to 78 in my 30L Spiedel tank sitting on top of my boiler for one week, then transfer to a 5 gallon carboy for two weeks before bottling. After 1 week it was down to 1.004 and had dropped to 1.002 by bottling day, I would call that high attenuation :slight_smile: . BTW–I pitched 1.5 packs since I believe the manufacturers numbers concerning the number of viable cells/gram and not the 20 billion/gram reported so often.

I saw on the William’s Brewing site the following:

BELLE SAISION This new dry yeast from Lallemand proved to be a very authentic saision yeast, and fermented our 1.055 starting gravity saision wort down to an amazing 1.000. Flavor was very dry, peppery, with a touch of sourness; this is a very true to type saision yeast. We also fermented this wort with Wyeast 3711 French Saision as a control, and our tasters preferred this French Saision beer overall, as it had a milder and smoother character than the more extreme Belle Saision.