Another ESB. 10 gallons. Critique? Melanoiden ideas?

Trying to come up with an ESB. this one is inspired by Ken Lenards ESB and Pelican’s Nestucca ESB. I’m hoping my percentages of specialty malt will still shine through with 35IBU’s. Hoping for a FG around 1.013-1.015… any thoughts or criticisms? I havnt made a 10 gallon batch in quite a while. Brewing this up tomorrow. going to cut my water 50/50 with RO water to lower my bicarbonate and alkalinity, then add some Calcium chloride and gypsum something like 75:25 (still need to go through my water spreadsheet).

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: SScoggin
Boil Size: 13.20 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Mash: 152 for 75mins
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
18 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.16 %
1 lbs English Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.83 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.83 %
7.2 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %

2.65 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
1 Whirlfloc - 15mins
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 tsp yeast nutrients - 5mins

DryHop: .5oz Goldings/.5oz Fuggles

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.50 %
Bitterness: 35.0 IBU
Est Color: 9.4 SRM

two 6 gallons carboys. one with WY1056, and the other with WY1028. Fermented at 62 degrees. Cold crashed and Geletin after 1 month of fermentation in the primary. then, half Bottled into 22oz bottles half into 12oz.

I was considering using Nottingham instead of 1056 because i like’d it in my porter. also considering 1968. Still a little indecisive on the yeast

edit: do you think 7% specialty of crystal and melanoiden is too much? i was thinking victory might be a better. but the pelican beer i am trying to emulate claims to use melanoiden

I think your recipe looks good. I’m not sure what the melanoidin will bring to the table since it’s percentage is so small and you might just have enough base grain to carry that extra malt you’re looking for??? Other than that, your percentages are pretty close to Kens’ but his crystal accounts for 10% where yours is coming in at 5?? Either way, please share the outcome. I’m fancying ESB’s myself these days. Mike

here’s the ESB thread that inspired mine. in this recipe he uses 5.26% crystal and 5.26% torrified wheat. I decided to use a hint of melanoiden because I’ve never used it, and figured it would add a little maltiness if nothing else. and the other ESB i was trying to emulate claims to use melanoiden, goldings and fuggles. I was going for something inbetween both beers, that i could call my own, (although largely inspired by Ken’s recipe). I also went with 1968, because i really like that yeast for english beers (plus ESB is in the name)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108677&start=0

Here’s the other beer. (1056 is their house yeast)

http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/peli ... stucca-esb

Sound well thought out. I’d love a taste at completion!

I hope it will be as good as i imagine it. unfortunately I’m going to England for the summer, leaving mid june. so i wont have a lot of time to drink it. It will be the first beer i have bottled in a very long time.

I’m planning on giving a lot of it to friends and family. maybe save some for a competition when i get back

If you’re going to England you should have plenty of opportunity to sample ordinary, special, and extra special bitters. Awesome. Take good notes and let us know how it goes.

I’m plannin’ on it :cheers:

I will be staying in northern England. I also plan on skipping over to Scotland and checking out some Scottish ales, and some scotch distilleries