Anarchy In the UK Hops?

Hello… Question for you all … I would like to make the new Anarchy In the UK recipe that NB has . looking at it though the hop amounts and schedule are different from the Extract vs AG both have the same OG of 1.062. is there a reason for this that i am overlooking or not aware of from a learning point of view ?

Extract
1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Falconer’s 7Cs® (15 min)
1 oz Centennial (15 min)
1 oz Ahtanum (5 min)

AG
0.75 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Falconer’s 7Cs®® (20 min)
1 oz Centennial (15 min)
1 oz Ahtanum (5 min)

Possible that with the extract they are accounting for a lower utilization because of a partial boil if using the full amount of extract.

If using the “late extract addition” the lesser AG amount of hops would be used.

The hop amounts and schedule have nothing to do with the gravity. Gravity is a measurement of sugar content that can ferment down, leaving less sugar content and thus a lower gravity…resulting in alcohol volume.

The hops are just tasty additions. :cheers:

THe AG recipe assumes a full boil and a lower gravity during boil which increases utilization of the bittering addition. With extract they assume a 3gal boil which means a higher gravity during boil and lower utilization.

Looks like a nice hop schedule.

[quote=“stompwampa”]The hop amounts and schedule have nothing to do with the gravity.[/quote]Schedule dependent on gravity, no, amounts (weights) yes. Utilization is inversely related to gravity.

Seems to me this is one of the rare recipes that they actually change the hop additions to account to partial boil hop utilization?

Probably has to do with the fact that this beer is going to be quite bitter. If you have a lower bitterness then the need for an adjustment is less. Could also be that the fact its a clone type recipe, means they pay closer attention to getting a final IBU target. With a more generic recipe, it can be whatever.

Right. I was saying that the hops don’t have an effect on how high or low the gravity is.