American Pale Ale Recipe - Critiques welcome!

Hey all, so I’ve got one batch under my belt (well, almost, got another week left in the bottles yet). I am already pumped about doing my second batch and I figured I’d try my hand at making my own recipe since that’s what interests me the most about this hobby!

So, without further adieu, I present to you the following which I have dubbed “Maiden America.” Thoughts?

Method: Extract
Style: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.61%
IBU: 35.49
SRM: 10.96

Fermentables

6 lb Briess Gold Malt Extract 75%
1 lb Dry Malt Extract - Amber 12.5%

Steeping Grains

0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 3.1%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 6.3%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 90L 3.1%

Hops

1 oz Centennial Pellet Boil 60 min
1 oz Willamette Pellet Boil 15 min
1 oz Willamette Pellet Boil 5 min

Yeast

Safale US-05

My two cents, since you stated you want to make an APA:

12.5% crystal is WAY too much–especially in an extract batch, because extract typically has a bit of crystal already. I’d knock the crystal down to no more than 3-4% total if you’re using light extract. Given your extract choice, I would go to 0% cyrstal.

Three varieies of crystal may seem like it adds complexity, but it will muddle your APA and compete with the hops. If you use any crystal, I suggest one variety. Personally I like C40.

You can go a lot of different directions with the hops in an APA, but chuck the Willamette in this recipe. An APA can be nice with 100% Centennial. If you want a bit more complexity, go with a Columbus and Centennial at a ratio of 33/66 or 25/75 as late additions and dry hop.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”] Given your extract choice, I would go to 0% cyrstal.
[/quote]

I agree, but a bit of victory or biscuit might be a good idea.

KC has a good point. If this were my recipe I’d drop the 60 and 90 , although I might keep the 40.
I also agree with Rookie that a little Bisquit malt is a very good thing. I’d add1/4 lb of that.
I have no issues with Williamette in your PA, but to me a strong characteristic of a good APA is the wonderful C-Hops. So, I’d use the Williamette at 60 for bittering and put the Centennial in at 20 for flavor.

I’d replace most it he crystal with light Munich (8-10L).

I find I’m using less crystal all the time. My go to IPA/APA grist is 2 row and vienna.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I’ve taken some of the advice provided, and I think I’ve simplified the grain bill a bit to clear up any muddled flavors (extracts and steeped). I was interested in the suggestion to use munich malts, however I’ve read that they aren’t recommended for steeping. I don’t know if I want to take the jump and do a partial mash just yet, so I’ve gone with the following:

6lb Pale Liquid 77.4%
1lb Light Dry 12.9%

8oz Crystal 40 6.5%
.4oz Victory 3.2%

1oz Willamette at 60
1 oz Centennial at 20

What are your thoughts on dry hopping for a few days with centennial?

Thanks for the advice!

[quote=“cjdhein”]

What are your thoughts on dry hopping for a few days with centennial?

Thanks for the advice![/quote]
Will give you more flavor and a lot more aroma. I do an all centennial IPA and have played with 1-2.5 ounces of centennial DH’d in 5 gallons, which I do in the keg.

I’d say…Do it!

Still too much crystal for my taste, but now we’re getting into preferences. Since you’re trying to create your first recipe, remember that you will never ruin a batch by being conservative with crystal malt.

You’re hops look better. You won’t get much flavor from the 20 minute addition, though. I would suggest:

60 min: Willammette (if you’re dead set on using this hop) - whatever quantity will get your IBU target
10 min: .5-1 oz Centennial
5 min: .5-1 oz Centennial

You could even use more late hops and add a flameout addition if you want.

Dry hop? Yes. Use 1-3 oz of Centennial for 3-7 days.

Willimette is not really a bittering hop. Something with a higher aa% like nugget for me. It’s great that you are making your own recipe. Thats the fun part of it otherwise it’s just cooking IMO. I think if you like to make your own recipes you should go AG. Opens up more options. :cheers:

Also, Victory needs to be mashed.

This… making your own recipes is the finest pay off of them all.