American Noble Hops and cryo-hops

I found this article that delved into American noble Hops and a bit into cryo- hops. Fairly good explanation. I’m probably a bit late (2020 article,lol)to the table, but ……I finally started using cryo- hops, and I’m looking into using American noble hops in a Lager soon.
Link here:

Anybody else using American nobles or cryo hops in their homebrews?

3 Likes

Well like you im just hearing about it. Very interesting read. Ive not seen them but will keep an I out for them

1 Like

Makes you wanna drive out to the hop region and enjoy some brews! I wonder if my sister can send some back… hhhmmm
Sneezles61

Kinda the changing face of hops in homebrewing. Here’s another article that covers some of the same territory more directed toward cryo- hops. There seems to be two major players, Yakima valley Hops and Yakima chief Hops. Also, it seems that shortages are possible, as I had a heckuva time finding Columbus cryo- hops, our host didn’t have them, nor did Yakima chief Hops. Yakima valley seems to have them and I’ve ordered 4 ounces from them.

2 Likes

A few years ago, a small brewery up in Duluth was using the Cryo powder… a friend brewer was given some and he brewed with it… was interesting… I just assumed it wouldn’t be available to a home brewer… I was wrong… I’ll need some hops soon, so I’ll look at trying this…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I’ve dabbled a LOT with cryo hops. Honestly I’m not sure if I can really tell the difference. I admittedly never compared a beer made with cryo hops to regular t90 hops. To me if I can’t tell a huge difference it’s prob not worth it.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the input. Some opinions do seem to be all over the board. Our local brewery closest to me loves the stuff because of increased yield. They’ve been using it for a couple years. I’m not sure if they’ve ever used the American noble hops, however.
@denny Conn has been on record that you don’t really want to reduce the volume of cryo- hops by half as is suggested. Also using some T 90 hops with the cryo- hops keeps it from being a strange ‘monochromatic’ taste according to others.

Well, we’ll see, my first brew with it is cold crashing at present.

1 Like

I think one of the main benefits is by using cryo you are using half the amount and not putting that extra vegetation in your beer. This helps on huge dry hop loads with larger brewers.

2 Likes

not sure about using the noble hops it seems like most of the good stuff has been removed. I remember I got some Citra pelets once not sure what they were called they had a very low alpha acid and were advertised for flavor and aroma not bittering so maybe I did use them or something similar. They were cheap I remember and worked well in the beers I made with them. Now Im thinking maybe give them a fancy name and sell them for more

1 Like

Yes, as stated above,definitely increased yield, very important at the commercial brewing level, but also useful hopefully at our level for getting an extra pint or two out of a keg. Also, hopefully less vegetal matter and vegetal taste in the finished product. Going to absolutely keg hop with this next beer, my Big Sur DIPA.

Definitely would work well at our level. When making a NEIPA U need to increase my brew volumes and even then a ton of crap on the bottom of the keg. Here is where the floating dip tub comes in handy

2 Likes

I up my volume up to 7 gallons into the fermenter… I have DH’ed in the keg… but then there is some grassy background… even when in a bag… I did however really like squeezing the juice out of the hops and enjoying!
Sneezles61