American Amber Rye Al

I’m trying to pull together an Amber Rye, something that has a malty backbone with a slight spiciness from the Rye. What are your thoughts on this?

Fermentables Efficiency: 75.0% Batch size: 5.0 gal

Fermentable Amount Use PPG
2-Row (US) 6.5 lb 61% Mash 37
Munich (UK) 2.0 lb 19% Mash 37
Flaked Rye 1.0 lb 9% Mash 36
Caramel/Crystal 80L (US) 1.0 lb 9% Mash 33

Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Cascade (US) 1.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 7.0%

Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Average Attenuation
American Ale Wyeast 1056 75.0%

Or US-05

Needs more rye! Maybe swap the amounts of Munich and rye for better effect.

Do you think, maybe around 20%? This is just a test batch, do you think maybe start off with 10% and bump it up the second batch or just go all in with 20%?

Ok, I’m thinking of moving the rye to 20%, dropping the Munich to 1lb and using crystal 60 instead of 80.

Go all in with 20%. You’ll be happy with it.

Yeah, you need at least 20% rye for it to be noticeable. FWIW, I don’t care for rye and Munich together. Maybe that’s just me.

Yeah, you need at least 20% rye for it to be noticeable. FWIW, I don’t care for rye and Munich together. Maybe that’s just me.[/quote]

+1! I can’t detect rye in small amounts. I like to use 30% or more. I make a Rye Saison form time to time and have used 30% with good results. I also made a Roggenbier recently with 50% Rye malt. Damn tasty!!!

PS: I’ll add I’ve since quite smoking and my sense of smell has really gotten better. I’m curious if I brew these same beers if the rye will stand out even more… very curious now…

Denny,

What about some biscuit or Vienna in place of the munich? What don’t you like about the combination of the two?

Below is where I’m at on this recipe, I’ve made some slight adjustments.

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
2-Row (US) 6.5 lb 61% Mash 37 1 °L
Flaked Rye 1.75 lb 16% Mash 36 2 °L
Caramel/Crystal 60L (US) 1.0 lb 9% Mash 34 60 °L
Munich (UK) 1.0 lb 9% Mash 37 6 °L
Caramel/Crystal 120L (US) 0.25 lb 2% Mash 33 120 °L

Cascade (US) 1.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Yeasts

American Ale Wyeast 1056 75.0%

Don’t let me scare you off your idea…it may just be my own tastes. And you don’t have a lot of Munich in there. When I’ve used them together it was with a lot more Munich.

Well, here is what I decided on for the first brew. It will be a good start, thanks for your help everyone!

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
2-Row (US) 6.0 lb 55% Mash 37 1 °L
Flaked Rye 2.5 lb 23% Mash 36 2 °L
Munich (UK) 1.0 lb 9% Mash 37 6 °L
Caramel/Crystal 60L (US) 1.0 lb 9% Mash 34 60 °L
Caramel/Crystal 120L (US) 0.25 lb 2% Mash 33 120 °L

Cascade (US) 1.25 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Yeasts

Denny’s Favorite 50 Wyeast 1450 75.0%

[quote=“dobe12”]
PS: I’ll add I’ve since quite smoking and my sense of smell has really gotten better. I’m curious if I brew these same beers if the rye will stand out even more… very curious now…[/quote]

Back before I quit smoking I used to pack Little Debbie snack cakes in my lunch. Not too long after I quit I thought they did something to them. I finally realized that I was regaining my sense of taste. Some of the money I saved on smokes went to buying quality deserts.
That was back in '84 and if I had kept on smoking along with some other health issues since then I might not have survived until now if I hadn’t quit.

I just bottled a rye bitter that I brewed with 20% rye that I am very happy with.