Am I too old to homebrew?

I can’t get this image out of my head:
Few years ago, grocery shopping with the wife.
Pass the beer aisle, where I notice olde, frail man struggling his 30 case of Natural Light into his cart,
Thinking to myself, sad. How does one get through life without discovering that there is beer other than Nat Light??
So, on the bright side, the odds of you fossils ending up like that guy are pretty slim. :cheers:

[quote=“Scott Miller”]I can’t get this image out of my head:
…So, on the bright side, the odds of you fossils ending up like that guy are pretty slim. :cheers: [/quote]

At least I will be a well preserved fossil. :mrgreen:

Man… I just turned 30, even I want to put up a fence to keep kids off my lawn!

46 here and been brewing for 13 years. I plan to brew for a long time and look forward to brewing when I’m done working. I could see some of the things that I do now becoming difficult… lugging a full glass carboy down the basement steps, carrying the brewpot filled with 6 or 7 gallons of wort from the kitchen out to the garage, etc. Otherwise I try to keep everything simple and can see brewing beer for a VERY long time. Awhile back, there was a poll where you were supposed to enter your age and I noticed that the vast majority of homebrewers were younger than me! Fine. :cheers: Cheers and keep brewing!

EDIT: Here’s one to envision for when everyone here gets older: I was taking a glass carboy from the garage in winter. I left it out there for some cold conditioning and it was time to keg it. I placed it in the laundry room for a few minutes and then went to grab it. It was sweating a little bit as I picked it up and headed for the basement stairs. It had an orange carboy cap on it and I had one hand underneath and the other around the neck. As I got about a ¼ down the stairs, my top hand slipped and popped the cap off the carboy. I lost control of it but it didn’t drop. I hugged it and got into a “sliding into 3rd base” kind of position as I slid down the stairs with it, hugging it the entire way. A small splash ended up on the basement floor and of course it was stirred up. There were some loud expletives followed by some mopping up and eventually kegging the beer. Phew. I could see that happening to me again in 15 years and sending me to the 24-hour treatment center! :lol:

[quote=“flytyer”]I received my new NB catalog in the mail. As I’ve stated before that when the Dean sent me “that letter” I could always take a history course to rescue my GPA. I love the descriptions and base my future Brews on making something unique and with a story.
I can’t read the descriptions in the catlog. At 54 I need a magnifying glass to read them.
Holy Shnikeys I’m officially an old f*rt. next thing you know I’ll have one eye brow, be chasing the neighbor kids off the lawn, and wear plaid shorts around my chest.
You young guys ( anybody under 50 you know who you are) don’t understand this,but I’ve made the transition from people saying at my funeral “He died so Young” to “He had a good life”.
Well I’ve vented, I saved $165.00 on therapy, I’m off to NB to get the Patersbier kit to make this weekend.[/quote]

I hardly even remember being 54! I hit 60 in about 2 weeks…

Shoot, I can’t remember what I did yesterday and I’m 31 :mrgreen:

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“flytyer”]I received my new NB catalog in the mail. As I’ve stated before that when the Dean sent me “that letter” I could always take a history course to rescue my GPA. I love the descriptions and base my future Brews on making something unique and with a story.
I can’t read the descriptions in the catlog. At 54 I need a magnifying glass to read them.
Holy Shnikeys I’m officially an old f*rt. next thing you know I’ll have one eye brow, be chasing the neighbor kids off the lawn, and wear plaid shorts around my chest.
You young guys ( anybody under 50 you know who you are) don’t understand this,but I’ve made the transition from people saying at my funeral “He died so Young” to “He had a good life”.
Well I’ve vented, I saved $165.00 on therapy, I’m off to NB to get the Patersbier kit to make this weekend.[/quote]

I hardly even remember being 54! I hit 60 in about 2 weeks…[/quote]

I’m 62 and I can barely remember 54…days ago. :roll:
Happy birthday Denny.

At 64 I finally conceded that my back does not like me very much after lugging and lifting kettles and carboys. So, I am in the process of building an all electric, gravity fed system in a basement storeroom. I am even building an “elevator” to lift full carboys up for racking.
Out of the cold, no more lugging, no more lifting - gotta love that I can still keep this hobby/obsession. I suspect that my family and friends will be drinking my homebrew at my funeral 30 years from now.

Uncle

Congrats and Happy Birthday Denny. I don’t reach 60 till October, old timer.

Unfortunately, I have sort of the opposite problem. I remember even 24 all too well and parts of my brain keep trying to tell me I’m still there :shock:
…of course, my body is what snaps me back into reality. Especially my right knee (an old comedy injury).

What the hell…I figure my best years (and best brews) are still ahead of me. At least that’s what I’m hoping.
I am dreading the probably inevitable stainless steel knee, though…

Another “class” of 52 here: 60 in Sept.

I find it more and more difficult to do the heavy lifting. So, to help, I put a door in my keezer collar so i wouldn’t have to lift kegs the additional 6 inches. :wink:

cheers and HB to all of the class of 52 here.

:cheers:

I was dreading 40 in March, looks like I have 30 more yrs. before an assistant will be needed.

I don’t know how to do private messages so this is for the Professor:
From personal experience, I had a hip replacement at 52. I feel really blessed that it worked out so well. I can ride in a car for more than 20 miles, sleep through the night, don’t take Aleve by the handful, and I actually umpired the full summer after taking a year off. Hopefully I’ll get back to wading with a fly rod this summer.Flytyer. PS Thanks people for responding to this post. Glad it was taken in the spirit it was intended, because living in Wisconsin we seem to have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves. Everybody is so mad here. Thanks again.

I’m 57 so 54 sounds young to me. I hope I can keep going until my youngest brewing assistant (She’s 8.) can take over. The other two kids don’t care about the process, but as they reach 18 they are becoming more interested in the end result.

Click on the persons username below their avatar and then click on “Send a private message”.

I just turned 50 last year and was feeling pretty good. Then the letter from AARP came and invited me to enroll. For the first time I felt old.

I’m 45 and I don’t plan to quit in the next nine years - if I’m still a-breathin’, I’ll still be a-brewin’.

too old.

Just turned 43 this year, hope to make it til at least 70!

i am going to be 54 saturday and when i was younger i thought ‘oh god 50 has to be OLD’.when somebody asked me when i turned 50, whats it like to be 50 i told them i don’t know , i’ve never been 50 before :stuck_out_tongue: you are only as old as you feel or think you are. stay young in your mind and you will never grow old.

I’m not mad. I’m 57 and in Wisconsin.