Alternative to Denny's 1450?

We’re brewing Denny’s BVIP this weekend and neither of the local HBS stores have the 1450 in stock.

I was thinking US-05 instead…or is there a better option?

Also, with the dry yeast, do we need a starter for this beer or is one pack of dry enough to get the job done?

[quote=“stompwampa”]We’re brewing Denny’s BVIP this weekend and neither of the local HBS stores have the 1450 in stock.

I was thinking US-05 instead…or is there a better option?

Also, with the dry yeast, do we need a starter for this beer or is one pack of dry enough to get the job done?[/quote]

I’d go with 1056 before US05. If you use dry for that beer, use 2 packs and no starter. But when I used 05 it was OK, but at the bottom of my list of preferred yeasts.

I really don’t care for the 1450 (sorry Denny) i have used it and repitched it several times. I just cant seem to get myself to like it. I really can’t tell you what it is I just don’t care for it. I on there hand really enjoy 1056 and us05

Aren’t 1056 and US05 the same strain?

http://saltcitybrew.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... s.html?m=1

They may have originally started as the same thing, but they are a bit different in use. I find 05 produces a thinner beer and 1056 has a cleaner flavor.

I have a couple house recipes that use 1450, and the last time I brewed them, I had concerns that my stored yeast was infected. So I used an alternate, and I have been quite disappointed - it’s just not as good.

I plan to pick up another smack pack of 1450 when I ramp up my brewing again. It does seem to take a generation to really get up to speed, but then it produces wonderfully smooth beers with such a nice, rounded grain character. It’s hard to put into words, but something about 1450 just seems to pull the beer together and meld the flavors. YMMV.

:cheers:

What about Danstar BRY-97(dry). Would that work? What’s the opinion on that one?

I tried that one once and was not very impressed with it at all.

Granted, it was with a first-time recipe too - so it could have been the beer itself that I didn’t like.

Still makes me reluctant to try it again.

I tried that one once and was not very impressed with it at all.

Granted, it was with a first-time recipe too - so it could have been the beer itself that I didn’t like.

Still makes me reluctant to try it again.[/quote]

Your experience with BRY97 is common.

They may have originally started as the same thing, but they are a bit different in use. I find 05 produces a thinner beer and 1056 has a cleaner flavor.[/quote]
US-05 is an attenuation monster. I average 80-85% attenuation. It’s great for higher gravity beers that benefit from dryness (IPA, etc).

They may have originally started as the same thing, but they are a bit different in use. I find 05 produces a thinner beer and 1056 has a cleaner flavor.[/quote]
US-05 is an attenuation monster. I average 80-85% attenuation. It’s great for higher gravity beers that benefit from dryness (IPA, etc).[/quote]

I get pretty much the same attenuation from 105 and 05, but 05 leaves a thinner mouthfeel and is more estery.