Alter boil amount for extract kit

All,

My next batch will be the Dead Ringer IPA. Question is in regards to the actual amount of water I boil. The recipe tells me to boil 2.5 gal of water and then put 2 gal into fermenter then wort then top off to 5 gal. My questions is…Can I boil 4 gal of water put that into the fermenter and then top off to 5 gal? Are there any alterations I would need to make to the recipe if I did this, or can I go along as planned?

Thanks

Matt

For a while I was doing full-volume boils on the extract kits. I didn’t make any adjustments to the recipe aside from the boil volume. The beer theoretically came out a bit hoppier than it would have otherwise, but I never enough that I felt like it was a problem. And I’m really not much of a hophead.

That’s not a problem, generally speaking you’re probably better off boiling as much as you can, with of course a full boil being ideal. The only alteration would be that your hop utilization will be higher since the gravity of the boil will be lower. Should be the neighorhood of 15-20% higher utilization, so you could cut back on the hop additions by that amount, or just leave it be and expect the beer to have a little more bitterness than intended. If it were me I’d think about cutting back on the bittering charge and using the hops late or as dry hops.

[quote=“Hoppman21”]All,

My next batch will be the Dead Ringer IPA. Question is in regards to the actual amount of water I boil. The recipe tells me to boil 2.5 gal of water and then put 2 gal into fermenter then wort then top off to 5 gal. My questions is…Can I boil 4 gal of water put that into the fermenter and then top off to 5 gal? Are there any alterations I would need to make to the recipe if I did this, or can I go along as planned?

Thanks

Matt[/quote]

I only do extract kits, and due to pot and up until recently burner size (used to use underpowered electric stove top) only did 2.5 - 3.0 Gal batches.

just curious - if you are doing 4 gal ones, why not the 5 gal full boil? same reasons (pot size etc). just wondering is all.

regardless, love your question, because it was one I always kind of wondered about as well

[quote=“fullhousebrew”][quote=“Hoppman21”]All,

Thanks

Matt[/quote]

I only do extract kits, and due to pot and up until recently burner size (used to use underpowered electric stove top) only did 2.5 - 3.0 Gal batches.

just curious - if you are doing 4 gal ones, why not the 5 gal full boil? same reasons (pot size etc). just wondering is all.

regardless, love your question, because it was one I always kind of wondered about as well[/quote]

Yeah, it’s cool, I don’t mind sharing. At the moment, my boil kettle is 5 gal so I was just doing the 2.5gal boil according to the directions in the extract kit. I had seen a few other posts on here about the hop utilization by doing a larger volume boil, but was unsure if anything had to be changed. I really enjoy the taste of hops so I wouldn’t mind the beer a little hoppier if that’s how it turns out. My next move is to go to the 7.5 or 10 gal pot so I can do a full boil.

I would suggest going with a 10g if/when you upgrade. I have a 7.5g pot that came with my burner, works fine for 5g batches just not ideal. I usually start with around 6g of wort and at that level it requires quite a bit of attention early on in the boil to prevent boilovers. At some point I plan to get a 10g pot to make things easier.

I would suggest going with a 10g if/when you upgrade. I have a 7.5g pot that came with my burner, works fine for 5g batches just not ideal. I usually start with around 6g of wort and at that level it requires quite a bit of attention early on in the boil to prevent boilovers. At some point I plan to get a 10g pot to make things easier.[/quote]

Good point, thanks. What are your recommendations for a good kettle. I got my 5 gal kettle from NB and it serves its purpose well. Should I look into getting a kettle with a ball valve and thermometer from NB? I know they are pricey and probably worth the $$, but it is a necessity?

Thanks.

[quote=“Hoppman21”]

Good point, thanks. What are your recommendations for a good kettle. I got my 5 gal kettle from NB and it serves its purpose well. Should I look into getting a kettle with a ball valve and thermometer from NB? I know they are pricey and probably worth the $$, but it is a necessity?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’m kind of in the same boat right now, that’s what I’m waiting on, deciding which way to go with a new kettle. Something with all the bells and whistles like you mentioned or something a bit cheaper without all the extras. My “no frills” 7.5g pot has served me well, other than the fact I wish it was a little bigger, so I’m leaning on going the cheaper route, but still holding out for a bit just in case I convince myself otherwise.

[quote=“BPBCo”][quote=“Hoppman21”]

Thanks.[/quote]

I’m kind of in the same boat right now, that’s what I’m waiting on, deciding which way to go with a new kettle. Something with all the bells and whistles like you mentioned or something a bit cheaper without all the extras. My “no frills” 7.5g pot has served me well, other than the fact I wish it was a little bigger, so I’m leaning on going the cheaper route, but still holding out for a bit just in case I convince myself otherwise.[/quote]

My thoughts are along the same lines as yours. I have a 5 gal stainless from NB and I think it should last me a lot of brews. I think I am going to go with the 10 gal buy just the regular stainless one from NB. I only have 1 batch partially under my belt (not bottled yet), so I have a hard time justifying spending the kind of $$ for a blickman with a valve and thermometer. For now I can get a similar setup, or similar functionality for a lot less $$. When I get a few more batches done and more experience in the brewing world, it will make my decision to spend the $$ much easier.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have a restaurant supply store near by? Check them out for pots. Price might be very similar when you consider the shipping. Though there will not be a valve on it. You can drill a hole and install a valve if you like.

Another option.

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-ste ... 40.0.7.htm

Or for less, Aluminum is a viable option.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Do you have a restaurant supply store near by? Check them out for pots. Price might be very similar when you consider the shipping. Though there will not be a valve on it. You can drill a hole and install a valve if you like.

Another option.

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-ste ... 40.0.7.htm

Or for less, Aluminum is a viable option.[/quote]

Thats a great point. There is one not too far from where I live. I didn’t even think of that. I’m not sure if I even need the valve at this point. But I guess it is something I can add at a later time if need be. I imagine I can get the valves on NB, or do they have those at the restaurant supply as well?

[quote=“Hoppman21”]I’m not sure if I even need the valve at this point. But I guess it is something I can add at a later time if need be.[/quote]As long as you can lift the kettle and pour the contents into a fermenter, you don’t need a valve.

Sweet. I only want to get to full 5 gal boils for now (I know I need to boil 6-6.5 gal) so I have no problem moving the kettle.