Allagash White clone?

Hey, all,

Anyone have a good recipe (partial mash or extract) for Allagash White?
It’s a witbier - a belgian white.

How would you make that?

R

I know you asked for allagash white. But I thought I would share another professional white recipe.

Avery White Rascal. Avery gives many of their recipes out in homebrew form. I am probably going to brew this next for my girlfriend.

http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes ... mebrewers/

White Rascal Belgian Wheat

OG: 1.050
AE: 1.010

Grist:
Pale 2-Row – 50%
Pale Wheat – 50%

Hops:
60 min – Bravo (15.6% AA) – 0.4oz
30 min – Bravo (15.6% AA) – 0.07oz
0 min – Sterling (6.8% AA) – 0.27oz and Hersbrucker (T90) (4.5% AA) – 0.18oz

Spices (added at end of boil):
Coriander – 0.31 oz
Bitter Orange Peel – 0.06oz
Sweet Orange Peel – 0.25 oz

Yeast – Hoegardden
Ferm Temp – 66F for 75% of fermentation then let it climb as high as possible

This looks quite good!

Can I make it in a partial mash fashion (just steeping the grains for an hour)?

I’ve only done extract – but did some partial mash stuff recently and thought I could handle it.

[quote=“masquelle”]This looks quite good!

I’ve only done extract – but did some partial mash stuff recently and thought I could handle it.[/quote]

Are you doing an actual mash (i.e., controlling temp, water/grist ratio, pH, etc.), or just a steep? If you are mashing then you mash as much of the grist as you can with your setup (using a 50-50 ratio of 2-row and wheat), then use Wheat DME (which is generally a 50-50 mix of pale malt and wheat malt as well) to bring you up to your target gravity.

I’ve only done extract – but did some partial mash stuff recently and thought I could handle it.[/quote]

Try searching the forum for “brew in a bag(BIAB)” or “mash in a bag(MIAB)” for some tips on basically “steeping” at mash temps for an hour. Quite a few people do this regularly and have listed pretty detailed instructions on how they do it. You can do this with the entire grain bill, or just a portion and add extract for the remainder as erockrph already detailed.

These are great suggestions! Thanks, lads.

Here’s what I’ve been thinking about… If I steep grist for an hour plus, is that sufficient to get the enzymes and sugars (essentially wort) enough to brew with?

I’m finding the limitations of liquid extract – it still tastes syrupy at uncapping…
and I’m curious about the art of recipes and finding that bulk grain is cheaper and more creative than the kits…

So, could I steep (is this essentially partial mash???) grist for an hour and then move add some liquid extract and end up with good beer? I’m fine with experiementation – just curious.

My thinking now is…
Couldn’t I take 10lbs of grist and steep it for an hour at 155ºish then move to boil adding some LME at that time to bring it up to a solid OG?

I’m kind of just noodling with ideas and welcome any sort of “what won’t work because…” you have to offer…

Thanks,

Masquelle

You could do that extract only. Just use wheat extract. There is no reason to even use specialty grains.

For a 5 gallon batch just use, 6lbs liquid wheat extract and 10ozes of wheat dry extract. That will give you the OG of 1.050.

[quote=“masquelle”]These are great suggestions! Thanks, lads.

Here’s what I’ve been thinking about… If I steep grist for an hour plus, is that sufficient to get the enzymes and sugars (essentially wort) enough to brew with?

I’m finding the limitations of liquid extract – it still tastes syrupy at uncapping…
and I’m curious about the art of recipes and finding that bulk grain is cheaper and more creative than the kits…

So, could I steep (is this essentially partial mash???) grist for an hour and then move add some liquid extract and end up with good beer? I’m fine with experiementation – just curious.

My thinking now is…
Couldn’t I take 10lbs of grist and steep it for an hour at 155ºish then move to boil adding some LME at that time to bring it up to a solid OG?

I’m kind of just noodling with ideas and welcome any sort of “what won’t work because…” you have to offer…

Thanks,

Masquelle[/quote]

What you’re thinking should work fine, if you’re able to use up to 10 lbs you might not even need any extract depeding on the OG of your beer. Personally I would suggest dry extract rather than liquid if needed, really just personal preference but I found it easier to work with, easier to store and it’s said to have a longer shelf life if you get to the point where you’re only using small amounts at a time like I was back when I was doing partial mashes, but either should work fine for you.

If at all possible try to reculture some yeast from the 12 bottles (bottle conditioned with primary strain) - I made a wit with that strain and it came out really nice, better than what I’ve done with the Whitelabs wit yeast.

Also an underutilize spice in the mix is chamomile - a few tea bags at flameout will do it.

A wit is typically made with unmalted wheat, not wheat malt. I THINK The book “wheat” by Stan H. has THE recipe for allagash white, with the exception of the “secret ingredient” which some have suspected is chamomile.

The thing with Allgash white is that I find it to be far less spiced than some of the other wits out there. If you see suggestions for 1oz or more of Coriander… that won’t get you to an Allagash White.

Just to clarify, I looked at the book and it doesn’t have the recipe for Allagash, but it does have the specs for the beer (percentages, hop strains, mash temps, etc). In addition, Allagash does use a %age of malted wheat in addition to unmalted.

There is amazing info in that book if you are serious about brewing wits.