Alabama homebrewing bill HB9 passed!

Finally the bill for legalizing homebrewing in the state of Alabama has passed . The bill came up at the last minute and was passed 18-7-1 by the senate. Now it’s on to the Governor for a signature . The Governor has already verbally agreed to support the bill. Now us homebrewers can come out of the shadows in this state thanks to organizations like Right to Brew and supporters of HB9. Once this bill passes into law a local newspaper in my county is going to publish an article about homebrewers in Alabama. If any local Alabama homebrewers are interested in being part of this article please let me know. *Cheers

Congrats! I bet it feels awesome to finally (almost) be legal!

Does the law allow serving homebrew to guests and consumption outside the home (e.g., at club meetings and at competitions)?

Congratulations!!
The last holdout finally caved. A 100% legal homebrewing nation! YIPPEE!!!

Awesome man…now you don’t have to brew like it the 20’s or 30’s…right on!! cheers

Thanks guys! Knowing that I’m not committing a felony should make for easier brew days ahead. This bill does allow for serving to guests and outside of home consumption for clubs and competitions. Looking forward to my first local competition

You guys have just leapfrogged over my backwards state. Legislation was introduced in Feb to expand homebrewer rights. It eventually got buy-in from the state ABC after language changes, passed house committee, passed Senate committee, passed the full senate, and then got bundled with a very controversial bill when it went to the full house and was sent back to committee thanks to the other bill. Now I believe the attorney who was pushing it pro bono has retired from the cause. :cry:

You guys have just leapfrogged over my backwards state. Legislation was introduced in Feb to expand homebrewer rights. It eventually got buy-in from the state ABC after language changes, passed house committee, passed Senate committee, passed the full senate, and then got bundled with a very controversial bill when it went to the full house and was sent back to committee thanks to the other bill. Now I believe the attorney who was pushing it pro bono has retired from the cause. :cry: [/quote]

So in Kansas homebrewing is only allowed for personal consumption ? Not outside of home? At one point during the house debate they tried add a law that if homebrewing was made legal that every homebrewer would have to go to the local sheriff’s department and register as a homebrewer. So thankful that wasn’t voted in

Yes, only personal consumption is allowed in KS. In fact the largest and oldest homebrew club in Kansas City was created in KS and used to meet in KS until the ABC notified them what they were doing was illegal. So they moved to MO.

I love this country, but somtimes my head just spins. :?

So glad this bill finally passed. NOw I can tell SWMBO that everything is legal and she can stop worrying.

fist pump

swig

Fuck. Yeah.

Although I’m happy for you the law will finally be passed (unless the governer pulls a fast one), it must take away just a bit of the excitement derived from the whole “thumbing your nose at prohibition” aspect of the hobby.

My father was a moonshiner’s son (and thereby a moonshiner himself) in Carbon Hill, Alabama during the depression and prohibition era. The stories he told were fascinating.

:cheers:

Wow this is indeed good news! It makes me want to believe in the Government again…( Just kidding cause that ain’t a happenen.) But Im really happy for you home brew guys ! A toast to the great home brewers of Alabama.

Gobrewyourself

The bill was just signed by the Gubna !! WE ARE LEGAL :cheers:
Drinking my first legal homebrewed mosaic pale ale now. Although oddly enough it taste just as good as it did yesterday