Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Airlock Cap

I just started my first brew. I’m using the deluxe starter (glass Carboys) and I’ve run into blowoff in less than 24 hours. Are you supposed to keep the red plastic cap on the Airlock or not? I had it on. Your instructional DVD shows an airlock with a clear cap. In some shots it looks like the cap is on, but then you had a close up shot of the airlock with the cap off. The cap does not appear to have any ventilation holes in it to allow gas to escape.

Please advise

If you have a blow off, you need to have a blow off hose on it. Other wise you will have a mess.

Cap on, cap off, it doesn’t matter. Unless you have to much liquid in it so the center piece doesn’t have room to move.

Thank you. The airlock has a max line on each side. I filled the water so that it was at the max line while the water was balanced on both sides (forming a U). The instructions said to add about 1 TB of water which would have pushed the water above the max fill lines. I sanitized the blowoff hose and put it in the carboy and put the other end in the sanitizer. After a few minutes of this I attempted to put the airlock back on, but it appeared I was going to get overflow again so I’ve had the blowoff hose attached for about 4 hours. I just attempted to put the airlock on again and it was overly active with bubbles pushing up and out underneath the cap on the airlock. I think I’m going to keep the blowoff hose connected overnight and attempt to put the airlock back on tomorrow. Any idea why my brew is so (over) active?

My bad, you have a “S” air lock instead of a 3 piece. Instead of water, use cheap vodka in the air lock. Sanitizer is good for the blow off tube bucket. Vodka would get expensive in that quantity.

Just leave the blow off tube on the fermenter. It is one big air lock. Breweries have a SS tubing coming from the top of the fermenter down to the bottom. About 4’ off the ground a vinyl hose is attached that is placed in a 5 gallon pail.

Is your temps warmer than they should be? Forget the numbers the instructions say. Keep it in the mid to low 60’s. High temps will let the yeast party like no tomorrow. See my signature line for ways to keep the temp down.

What is the temperature of your wort? Is this a 5 gallon batch? What is the capacity of your fermentor?

Thanks everyone for the advice. What will cheap vodka do over water in the airlock? Will it be less active than water?

I have a 6 gallon carboy, though I noticed it does not appear to hold a full 6 gallons. I poured 5 gallons (from empty water jugs) into the carboy and marked the 5 gallon mark. I then put one more gallon in and the entire 6th gallon did not fit.

The room temperature in the room where the wort is at is probably in the upper 70s. The wort appears to be at about 78. From a past beer making kit I was under the impression you needed to keep the wort pretty warm during fermentation so I have it in a finished (and insulated) room in the basement. Perhaps I should move it an unfinished (and cooler) area.

Thanks everyone for the advice. What will cheap vodka do over water in the airlock? Will it be less active than water?

I have a 6 gallon carboy, though I noticed it does not appear to hold a full 6 gallons. I poured 5 gallons (from empty water jugs) into the carboy and marked the 5 gallon mark. I then put one more gallon in and the entire 6th gallon did not fit.

The room temperature in the room where the wort is at is probably in the upper 70s. The wort appears to be at about 78. From a past beer making kit I was under the impression you needed to keep the wort pretty warm during fermentation so I have it in a finished (and insulated) room in the basement. Perhaps I should move it an unfinished (and cooler) area.

Ok, I just moved everything to the unfinished area of the basement, which is probably 5-10 degrees cooler than my finished office.

Unless you are brewing Saison with a certain style of yeast; fermentation should be held to the low to mid 60°s. The six gallon fermentor with an airlock would have been problem free. You might have to ready to expect some off flavors in your brew.

Look up swamp coolers as a way to keep fermentation temperatures lower. Use Google to look for answers. The search mechanism in this forum is less than desireable.

Brewing is a continuing education course. Welcome.

bbella, the vodka is a sanitizer. If the krausen made it up to the air lock and the water in there had bacteria, it’s possible that the beer would get infected. Also, if for some reason it gets sucked into the fermenter, it will not impart any flavor.

Here is a link to an older version of the book “How to Brew” about off flavors. A good investment to purchase the hard copy.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Thanks everyone for the guidance and encouragement. The temperature of the wort has dropped to about 74 degrees since moving it to an unfinished portion of the basement. I was able to put the airlock back on (filling it with sanitizer). I’m still getting activity so the beer still seems to be fermenting. I have a considerable amount of sentiment on the carboy above the liquid line and into the neck due to blowoff. Will this sediment being on the carboy (and not down in the liquid) adversely affect the taste?

Thanks

[quote=“bbella”]Thanks everyone for the guidance and encouragement. The temperature of the wort has dropped to about 74 degrees since moving it to an unfinished portion of the basement. I was able to put the airlock back on (filling it with sanitizer). I’m still getting activity so the beer still seems to be fermenting. I have a considerable amount of sentiment on the carboy above the liquid line and into the neck due to blowoff. Will this sediment being on the carboy (and not down in the liquid) adversely affect the taste?

Thanks[/quote]

The sediment is mostly just the yeast (and some other stuff) falling out of the beer. No issues.

What will effect the taste of the beer will be the high temperatures. Don’t worry at this point. What’s done is done. It will still be beer.

Next time really try to get that temperature down.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com