Air in the lines

ok… I am just starting this kegging rather than bottling, I got my system set up, but the beer is coming out half foam. It settles down quick enough, but I had a few (foamy) beers last night, and I peeked my head into the keg fridge this morning and see this…

My tank is about at 5psi… the tank has gas… is this just a leak in the hose…?

-MFED

click on the pic to enlarge.

First off…it appears you have your QDs reversed. Grey is gas, black liquid. That could be part of your problem if the gas QD is allowing air in around the seal. You may damage your keg o-rings taking those off so I’d replace them when you do.

Second, I’d get some better clamps like oetiker clamps. I’ve had lots of those worm gear clamps fail over the years. You don’t need the special oetiker tool either. Just a small pair of end cutting/snubnose pliers.

2 Likes

What @dannyboy58 said. Should also have IN and OUT on the keg or some kind of notch or dimple on the gas side.

If you have a decent LHBS try taking your lines to them and have them clamp on 1/4" MFL swivels with oetikers and get the matching QDs. You will be happy you did. The swivels should not need a nylon washer for QDs as they are plastic on the end. Any metal to metal connection like the regulator end will need them.

2 Likes

Good call. I didn’t notice he was swivelnut-less. :laughing:

1 Like

So, just to clarify; the keg has stamped on it “In” and “out”, so that is simple enough, I have two removable drip tubes, the long one should go on the “Out” side. I also have two different types of (what ever you call those adapters that screw onto the threaded connections on the keg and then you attached to the Quick-Disconnect)…one of those types attach to the black QD for the liquid (Black for Beer… that is simple), but the re threaded the same… I can put either type on the “out” or “in” port… but the “tops” of those are NOT interchangeable so I have to make sure that the one that attaches to the black QD is on the “OUT” with the long dip tube.

… is that right?

… also our good home brew store closed over the summer… so I will try getting those clamps at Home Depot.

tape on the pic.

This is why I like pin locks… 2 pins= gas… 3 pins = brew… You just can’t goof that up… Right? Sneezles61

1 Like

Even though the QDs look the same they are a slightly different size so you cannot swap them on the keg.

1 Like

But I can put the post that fits the Gas QD on the “in” or the “out”, and I can put the short of long dip tubes on either inlet or outlet… so I just want to make sure I am not (too) confused about this.

The gas QD should only go on the “in” and the liquid QD on the “out”.

I have connected my CO2 to the out before to push it down the long dip tube for the CO2 to bubble up in the beer but had to put a black QD on the tubing from the regulator. Make sense?

I’m not sure what you mean about the dip tubes but don’t see any reason to change their location.

No the posts (parts that screw onto the top of the keg) are slightly different size, hence the different QDs. The gas post will have a notch or groove in the hex base or in some cases old school ones have an odd looking twelve point base. Mostly they’ll look like the ones below.

The gas post goes on the “in” side with the short dip tube and the liquid post goes on the “out” side with the long dip tube. Grey QD on gas(in) and black QD on liguid(out).

2 Likes

Well it’s harder to goof up pin locks, but not fool-proof. I can be a pretty good fool on occasion. That’s why I labeled my kegs like this.

3 Likes

I like the knurled collar on yers…
It just seems, when you encounter a situation that needs more details… Labeling is a very effective way to make it simple… I do my best to subscribe to simplicity… Sneezles61

1 Like

I use a very elegant cloth athletic tape labeling system for my beers. I make them on brew day, tearing off about 3/4" of tape with the beer name, date and OG printed poorly with an ink pen. They go on the fermenter(bucket lid), then they get kegging date and go on the keg, always just below the liquid post. When the keg goes into the serving fridge the fancy label moves to the fridge front above the tap handle.

I’ve been using the same roll of tape for about 5 years now. Well over 100 batches, many of which were 10 gals, so 2 labels. And before you get the idea I’m a cheap skate I want you to know this is the top of the line Mueller(no not @mullerbrau) athletic tape. I probably paid $4 for the roll.

5 Likes

Pin locks are for dummies. I use them also. Come to think of it I’ve never seen any posts on here about reversed pin locks. Although I have reversed or left out the tubes ( don’t tell anybody). I think the problem is if you buy new they are ball lock. Another reason to have swivel nuts you can switch back and forth if you have both.

3 Likes

My system is similar except I use the biege tone masking tape. I’m thinking of upgrading to blue masking tape but not sure I want to spend the money

That’s my solera God knows what’s in there

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the beer can’t see the label from the inside of the bucket or keg so no harm.

1 Like

I don’t like the blue tape… Black magic marker doesn’t show up very well in the dim light of my tap room… Green on the other… Keg… Well… Sneezles61

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that although I can find my way around in the dark you know

3 Likes