The night before I was due to brew, I measured out my water and filtered it to remove any chlorine, chloramine and other impurities. As always, my chores before a brew day also involve cleaning and sanitising as much as I'm going to need.
For this brew, I wanted to aim for a rounded, smoother mouthfeel. I didn't want to shoot for NEIPA levels of mouthfeel, but with the Golden Naked Oats and the CaCl2 combined, I was hoping to get a softness that made this beer an easy drinker. I then adjusted my strike water with a small amount of Calcium Chloride (CaCl2).
The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that this recipe contains Acidulated Malt. My water is quite alkaline and I normally add Acidulated Malt to drop the ph into acceptable levels.
The following afternoon I set my water on the burner and aimed for a strike temperature of 65 C and added the grains to my brew bag.
I also really wanted this beer to have a clean bitterness. Lately I’ve been experimenting with CO2 hop extract to achieve bitterness in my beers and have been surprised with the results.
If you’ve not heard of CO2 extract before, it is produced from soft hop pellets by supercritical CO2 extraction. If you'd like to learn more about CO2 Hop extract, I've previously written about it on this blog. I added around 4 ml of CO2 extract at the start of the boil.
After the 60 minutes of boil time was complete, I cooled the wort to around 24 degrees and pitched the yeast.
To keep things nice and simple, I went with a dry yeast called BRY-97 from Lallemand.
Before racking to my fermenting bucket, I wanted to take a reading of the original gravity (OG). I came in at just over 1.051.
With the airlock bubbling away, I patiently waited for my brew to be ready. With about 5 days to go until kegging, I dry hopped with around 80 grams of African Queen and 80 grams of Southern Passion in a hop sock.
When fermentation was complete, I cold crashed the beer overnight and then transferred to a keg and pressurised to 20 PSI before waiting another 5 days before tasting.